No water after winter closing

Mar 23, 2014
Wisconsin
We had a different company close the pool this year. We had an especially harsh winter - one of the coldest ever. Checked on the pool yesterday and there is no water in the pool - zero, none. We have an in ground 16'X40' pool. I fear thousands of dollars. What could've happened and how do I trouble shoot? We do have a vinyl liner but doubt it's a tear because all the water leaked out. The tear would have to be next to the drain. Could it be human error on the closing company? What's the best case and worst case scenario?

Welcome to TFP!

There must be a leak down near the bottom of the pool. As you mentioned, right next to the main drain, or down inside the main drain plumbing are the main possibilities.

If the liner is more than a year or two old it will most likely need to be replaced. Older liners do not usually survive being reinstalled.

You need to find and fix the leak, and then deal with the liner. That could easily be a few thousand dollars, though it could be as little as several hundred if the liner can be reused.

That was my first thought but the water would've leaked out before the first hard freeze right? Everything is still frozen so if there was water in the pool it would still be an ice rink. as we warm up it would then drain out right? The pump was disconnected, everything was wrapped. The reason I checked is because the winter cover was sagging so low with the weight of the snow I thought something was wrong and it was like that most of the winter. We had 60+ Inches of snow so I couldn't get out there. The snow was higher than the pool fence.

Same guy coming out today to check on it and provide his diagnosis. I will update thread.

That was my first thought but the water would've leaked out before the first hard freeze right? Everything is still frozen so if there was water in the pool it would still be an ice rink. as we warm up it would then drain out right? The pump was disconnected, everything was wrapped. The reason I checked is because the winter cover was sagging so low with the weight of the snow I thought something was wrong and it was like that most of the winter. We had 60+ Inches of snow so I couldn't get out there. The snow was higher than the pool fence.

Same guy coming out today to check on it and provide his diagnosis. I will update thread.

Well, this is my theory. Water wouldnt leak before first hard freeze as it wasn't yet burst. Once the hard freeze came, it split. However, if it is still that cold and has not warmed up enough to thaw then my theory is out the window. Quite honestly it makes no sense if it is not warmed enough to thaw as if would not be able to leak if frozen.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.