Not connected wire question.

scratchedup

Gold Supporter
Apr 2, 2013
Fayetteville, GA
I'm progressing well on my total system re-do and education process. I'm at the point where I need to wire in my 2 speed pump to my Autopilot DIG 220 SWG computer controller. When I removed the cover I found this wire not connected. Does anyone know what this wire is? The system has worked fine for a year and a half but the original install was as bad as it gets!

Suggest you find where the other end of the wire goes to help you determine it's function. Your unit can be configured for 110V or 220V and maybe it has something to do with that. The 110V configuration requires 2 user configurable jumpers while a 220V installation only requires one. Maybe that's the second jumper that isn't being used in your 220V installation. Your owners manual mentions this jumper.

not to further drive you batty, but isn't that another free wire behind the one you have indicated (still inside the circle, but facing the back plate)? It has a similar connector to the one you have indicated by the arrow, and appears to be free as a bird.

For the record, I agree w/ "if it aint broke" mentality....try to find a manual for that device if you're the curious type.

I am....Linky http://www.autopilot.com/images/pdfs/digital_manual.pdf

Hopefully it makes more sense with the device in front of you.

I just went to my garage where I keep my unit , in the winter, and it looks like the same wire, a lite pinkish color connector, it is not connected , and not in the exact place as yours but very close, my unit has been working very well, I would think that is not a problem.

It could be related to the optional pump relay (assuming that relay is not currently installed).

sorry been absent a while...

Making more progress and will post pictures....pretty happy with how things are turning out other then the huge amount of time I have invested ignoring my other addictions/hobbies....

Yes the two leads are for the relay. They sent it free of charge. Generally, the AutoPilot company has been helpful but yet again I get frustrated when taking to a tech when I can tell I know more then he does about their product.... "with the pump on low speed the SWG will not work"...!? "You will have to run the pump on high for the SWG to work" ...There is no reason to run the SWG on low 24/7"....!?

I'm open to input here about these comments....Thanks

Another comment or criticism of the unit is the bus bar. They tend to use big 10g a wire so when a jumper is asked for there is no way to get two wire into the wire port.

not to further drive you batty, but isn't that another free wire behind the one you have indicated (still inside the circle, but facing the back plate)? It has a similar connector to the one you have indicated by the arrow, and appears to be free as a bird.

For the record, I agree w/ "if it aint broke" mentality....try to find a manual for that device if you're the curious type.

I am....Linky http://www.autopilot.com/images/pdfs/digital_manual.pdf

Hopefully it makes more sense with the device in front of you.

you win the prize!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
A new question-
I am controlling the 2 speed pump motor with the Autopilot controller.

It is recommended (I think) to put a disconnect between the controller and the pump motor. There are 4 wire connecting (common/ground/low/high) the two devices so what do I use to make a disconnect?

- - - Updated - - -

There needs to be some easy way to turn off the pump. That can be placed anywhere between the circuit breaker and the pump that is convenient. At a minimum it needs to break the connection on the common wire. Though it would be better if it could break the connection on common, low and high. This is easier to do before the AutoPilot, where it only needs to break the connection on the two hot wires (double pole switches are fairly easy to fine, triple pole switches not so much).

I'm slightly confused.
I have my old manual timer switch that cuts power to SWG control head/computer.
With no power here the pump is unpowered.

Seems the install instructions say to have a disconnect between the autopilot control head and the motor. If I'm mistaken here then I'm covered.

Most places, there has to be a readily accessible switch located within sight of the pool that cuts off power to pool equipment (other than lighting). I read it as meaning it needs to turn off the SWG as well, though the way they worded it isn't totally obvious. I can't think of any reason a disconnect could be required after the SWG, though you are allowed to have one.

My system is not perfect...it is kind of a patch job on some older equipment but for now I think it is safe and its working. I have a CB in the service panel in the house, a CB at the pool station in the old timer box plus the mechanical timer switch lever. I will be running my Polaris off the old mechanical timer.

It would be nice to eliminate and upgrade the mechanical timer and have a cut off between the SWG controller and the pump but I'm not sure it is worth the effort.

Another issue is my new 2 speed pump has its own computer/timer controller that I ended up bypassing altogether so there is no simple Hi/Lo switch.

I programed the Autopilot controller to run the pump. It defaults to low speed 24/7 and has two programs from high speed operation. There is no simple way other than selecting "boost" to turn the pump to high.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.