Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Pool Spa Size

1. Back To Top    #1

Pool Spa Size

We will soon (eventually?) be starting on the construction of our rectangular pool. (Currently waiting for permits.)

We will have a raised spa on the far side of the pool. (See my rendering attempt below.) I'm trying to figure out what size to make the spa. The PB says that he typically makes them 7'x7' (waterline). In my backyard, it might be a little difficult / inconvenient to go 7' back. What do you all think about 8' wide, and 6' long? That would still be with a bench on all 4 sides I assume.

Alternatively, what about something say 10' x 5', with a bench on only 3 of the sides (i.e. the 2 short sides, and only the far long side)?

Thanks for any opinions!

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Pool Spa Size

You call that an "attempt" at rendering!? Looks great!

5' is really narrow...you're right that you'd be bumping knees with people on the other side, it just seems like a waste to have it almost wide enough. I think 6' would probably be OK.
    11,200 gal, Pebble-Tec; Tristar 2-speed 1hp - Swimclear 325 ft2 cart - SWG - A & A in-floor cleaner - Heat pump. For the poolside cooking, a Yoder Wichita and a Big Steel Keg!
    TF Test Kits -- PoolMath -- Pool School
    Make each day your masterpiece. - John Wooden

3. Back To Top    #3

Well, if I were to do 5' by 9 or 10 feet, I would only have a seat / bench on 3 sides. So, there couldn't be anyone across from you if you sat on the long side... There's a fence behind it, so there's not much of a view looking back anyway...

Does that make sense, or does that just sound weird?

Actually - I guess my real (other) question is - how many people can fit in it? Maybe for the 8'x6', I can have 4 on each long side for 8 total people? For 9' or 10' by 5', maybe it would only fit 5 or 6?

4. Back To Top    #4

I'll be following this thread! So excuse the freeloading! =) We are talking to the last two PBs to decide on who to go with and one of the last items to decide on is the SPA.
    PB1 one had designed it at 8x8.
    PB2 designed at 6x6 and said 8x8 is just too big for a pool our size (longer to heat up).
    I had not thought of doing a rectangular SPA, this might just be brilliant...
    Built in 2014, 18,000gal, plaster, in ground, Pentair Clean & Clear Plus 2.0 HP, Booster Pump, Cartridge filters, inline chlorinator, automatic cleaner, Pentair MasterTemp 400 heater, Silencer for SPA.
    Bloody hot summers in Katy, TX; the rest of the year is just plain hot!

5. Back To Top    #5

FYI, I found this thread:
    http://www.troublefreepool.com/threads/36114-Spa-size

An excerpt about square / rectangular spas:

My spa is a square 7 x 7 with benches on all four sides and two jets on each of three of the walls. The square shape gives plenty of room for six. If the opposite wall were much closer the leg well would become a bit crowded. An oval shape to work as well would need to be something near 6 x 8, (that is of course based on the SWAG estimating method).

6. Back To Top    #6

Here's another link. No idea what biases those authors have, so take it with a grain of salt, but here's a quote:

Which shapes make the most efficient use of interior space?

Efficiency of interior space usage begins with the size of the footwell. It is easy enough to design a spa with seating for eight, but you need amble leg room for everyone to be comfortable. "This is why round spas are not very popular," Lynam says. Square spas with open seating and no loungers tend to offer the roomiest interiors, Vander Ploeg sayss.

How a spa's design utilizes its outer edges and corners is often overlooked. Lynam explains that if the spa has wide ledges around the perimeter (where the cover sits) and sweeping corner radii, the seats have to be moved inward, which shrinks the size of the footwell.

7. Back To Top    #7

We have a circular spa being installed as we speak and it is 8 x 8. It can fit 6 very comfortably. I would not recommend going smaller than 7 x 7. better to go larger than smaller, just make sure you have at least a 2 hp pump.
    Freeform gunite, 14,000 gallon saltwater sport pool.
    10 ton moss rock w/ waterfall, 50 sq ft raised spa.
    Bluestone coping, pebblesheen. Jandy pro flo 1 hp pump, legacy 325k heater.

8. Back To Top    #8

Just a note. Do leave a ledge around the outside of the spa. Nearly always someone will get too hot and then sit on the ledge with only their feet in the water. In fact it is nice if that is wide enough to recline back on your hands/elbows.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

9. Back To Top    #9

It looks like you have a lot of room at the end of the pool. Why not put it there?
    Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump/Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, MaxFlo SP2303VSP, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater

10. Back To Top    #10

Quote Originally Posted by mas985 View Post
    It looks like you have a lot of room at the end of the pool. Why not put it there?
    Do you mean the near side? We are trying to keep as much grass / green as possible, so we don't want to put it there. Also, on the far side, it seems like it will be a nice focal point.

11. Back To Top    #11

We have a 9x9 spa that was just built. I would not go below 8x8. Kids are loving the size....winter pool.

34'x22', depths 3.5 x 5.5 x 3.5; ~9' spa, Walnut Travertine coping, Quartzscape;
    Equipment: 2hp Jandy pump, water feature pump, Jandy DE Filter, 400k BTU heater, Jandy AquaPure PLC1400 Salt System;
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/80544338@N00/sets/72157641144436833/

12. Back To Top    #12

Great point about ledge. Sometimes you need to cool off before getting back in!
    Freeform gunite, 14,000 gallon saltwater sport pool.
    10 ton moss rock w/ waterfall, 50 sq ft raised spa.
    Bluestone coping, pebblesheen. Jandy pro flo 1 hp pump, legacy 325k heater.