Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Quantity of Chemicals Needed (BBB) for New Pool Fill

1. Back To Top    #1

Quantity of Chemicals Needed (BBB) for New Pool Fill

I will be setting up my new pool tommorow (weather permitting). It's an Intex Frame Set 18' x 48" roughly 6400gal. I have the TF Test Kit on hand. I want to stock up on everything I would need to treat the water on my new pool fill. Any ideas?

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Quantity of Chemicals Needed (BBB) for New Pool Fill

Check out JasonLion's PooL Calculator,

Just plug in your gallonage and it will give the the amounts of chems you need based on your current test results.
    11,000 gal. gunite w/midnight blue and white pearl PebbleTec
    Intelliflo 4x160 pump
    Intellichlor IC-20 SWG
    Pentair cartridge filter 420 sq. ft.
    Mastertemp 400K BTU heater
    Legend Platinum cleaner
    Pool School
    JasonLion's Pool Calculator
    TF Test Kits

3. Back To Top    #3

Just to add to what ktdave already said, you can test your fill water right now to get starting numbers. Then find appropriate goal levels in this article. Then use my Pool Calculator to figure out what specific quantities you will need.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

4. Back To Top    #4

Which tests should I be concerned with to test my tap water? I assume I can omit the TC, FC, CC, CYA?

5. Back To Top    #5

That is right. Any FC or CC will go away quickly and CYA will start at zero. The big open questions are TA and CH.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

6. Back To Top    #6

Well I tested my tap water and here are my numbers:

FC - 1
    CC - .5
    TC - 1.5
    pH - 7.2
    TA - 110
    CH - 300

From reading on the site I can just pour the bleach into the return jet in the pool. What about the Borax? Will it disolve easy? And the CYA. To bring it up from 0 to 40 I will need to add 34oz of CYA. What is the best way to add this much at one time? Thanks

7. Back To Top    #7

Looks like your fill water will have acceptable (yet just a bit on the higher end) levels for TA and CH.

You can add the CYA straight to your skimmer (pump running). Add about 2/3's of the total amount and wait 4-7 days and retest before adding more. It takes CYA sometimes a week to fully desolve, therefore don't clean your filter cartridges (or backwash if sand filter) until your CYA test indicates you have the correct level.

The borax can be broadcasted around the pool surface with the pump running.

It would help in the future if you put all pertinent information in your signature. See HERE.

Good Luck!
    11,000 gal. gunite w/midnight blue and white pearl PebbleTec
    Intelliflo 4x160 pump
    Intellichlor IC-20 SWG
    Pentair cartridge filter 420 sq. ft.
    Mastertemp 400K BTU heater
    Legend Platinum cleaner
    Pool School
    JasonLion's Pool Calculator
    TF Test Kits

8. Back To Top    #8

Your fill water is fine. Fill the pool, add your CYA, shock it and then you should be good to go. pH, TA, and CH are all within acceptable range. The shocking will get rid of the chloramines that ae being used to sanitze your fill water. Test your chlorine and pH daily (only test pH when chlorine is at normal and not shock levels) and test the other parameters weekly and make adjustments as needed.
    I see no need to add any borax at this point, your pH is fine at 7.2 and will rise on it's own.
    Once your FC drops below 10 ppm after shocking you need to do one more thing...go swimming!