Dumb question: which way is the flow of water?

ddas

May 21, 2013
Los Angeles, CA
Dumb question as I'm still trying to understand my pool system (pool + waterfall which flows into the pool). Can someone help me understand the flow of water?

I've uploaded a photo of my pool equipment as is:

http://imgur.com/uHzYWE1

And here's an annotated version where I've drawn what I *THINK* the flow is:

http://imgur.com/DBDGd6d

And the reason I'm asking is that I'm trying to troubleshoot the salt cell -- and it appears it might be installed backwards! Which would explain a lot! Can someone please help confirm that my flow (2nd image) is correct? If it is, then the salt cell is backwards!

I've color-coded the image so that if the ID'ing of any specific part is necessary, it's a little easier.

Thanks!

@Charlie_R: There is no indicator written on the salt cell, but after googling for the instruction (installation) manual, it specifies the opposite. (And the salt cell has never worked properly...so maybe that has something to do with it!) I can easily reverse it.

@Richard320: Yellow and orange returns are for the pool and the waterfall. I know because I know if I turn the lever, the waterfall turns on and off.

What do you think I should do about the green valve? You're right that it's completely turned in one direction (though I don't fully understand the valve so am not sure which side is currently on/off -- depending on which way the lever is pointing). Should I try moving the valve? Any harm? What should I be looking for?

Photo of the valve close-up (i.e. top of the green arrows from the second picture in the original mail):

http://imgur.com/ah3V1Mr

Inside the valve is pretty much the same shape as that handle. So the wide end is blocking off the one pipe. My guess is that the other end goes to the main drain or the spa drain (if you have a spillover spa) or perhaps a suction-side cleaner. The easiest way to tell is to turn it and see what happens.

If it does go to the main drain, you might not be able to see any difference. They're designed not to have huge suction to keep kids from getting trapped. Brushing a leaf gently at it might cause the leaf to get sucked in and then you'll know. You might also hear the pump sound different and the pressure to drop a little as it's sucking water through a longer section of pipe.

PS: the main drain will be a grate at the very bottom of the pool in the deep end.

Inside the valve is pretty much the same shape as that handle. So the wide end is blocking off the one pipe. My guess is that the other end goes to the main drain or the spa drain (if you have a spillover spa) or perhaps a suction-side cleaner. The easiest way to tell is to turn it and see what happens.

If it does go to the main drain, you might not be able to see any difference. They're designed not to have huge suction to keep kids from getting trapped. Brushing a leaf gently at it might cause the leaf to get sucked in and then you'll know. You might also hear the pump sound different and the pressure to drop a little as it's sucking water through a longer section of pipe.

I'll try that experiment in the next day or two. Dumb question...is it likely that one pipe goes to the skimmer and the other goes to the main drain? If so, then my logic tells me the skimmer is 100% open and the main drain is 100% closed. Does that jibe with your guess? (There is definitely suction from the skimmer; I've used it to vacuum, etc.)

If I'm correct, what's the normal/right/usual setting? 50-50 between skimmer and main drain?

I do have little kids. Any harm in leaving it 100% skimmer?

PS: the main drain will be a grate at the very bottom of the pool in the deep end.

Then I only have one main drain.

No harm in leaving the main drain closed. Many pools that are built dont even have a main drain at all. Its handy at times though when you get a lot of dirt on the bottom of the pool. Sweep the dirt to the main drain and it will be sucked into the filter.

If you set the 3 way valve 50/50, you will probably loose some of the skimmer efficiency but there is no harm in it.

I've set the diverter in my skimmer - same effect as the three way valve, just not as convenient - so that there's barely any visible reduction in turbulence in the skimmer. It's probably 20-25% to the main drain. The skimmer works the same, but I avoid some of that temperature stratification that's so shocking to the syetem when you dip your toe in and it feels great and then you jump in and discover that even as little as 4 or 5 degrees makes a big difference!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.