Ok to use my stainless steel brush for current algae situation?

May 4, 2013
Phoenix, AZ
Just wanted to check in with you guys that it is ok to start using my new stainless steel brush on the regular. Pebble interior is almost 4 years old. I got the SS brush because my pool has had a history of mustard and black algae. I do know that some black algae spots are present based off appearance (they are very small and almost look like they are part of the pebble). I will also be hitting up those spots one-on-one once the temp raises a bit and I will get them while swimming.

My current numbers good and the water is very clear.
FC 5.5
pH 7.8
TA 80
CYA 70

If I keep my FC on the upper end of my range (in respect to CYA and having a SWG), will brushing w/ my SS brush over time cause the algae to be killed off and disappear?

You can use a SS brush after the surface is one year old, so you are fine that way.

Black algae requires lots of brushing and elevated FC levels. With mustard algae it isn't so much a question of brushing, as it is making sure you clean everything that might reintroduce it into the pool. Mustard algae will stay away while FC is elevated, but tends to come back as soon as you let FC back down to normal levels (unless you are very through and get it all).

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.