Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Repairing in ground fiberglass pools

1. Back To Top    #1

San Jose, CA

Repairing in ground fiberglass pools

So I bought a house about 9 years ago with an in ground fiberglass pool. According to various neighbors, the pool is about 30 years old. I had one fiberglass guy come out and he wanted to charge about 7 grand to refiberglass it. I just had another guy out (I did not tell him about the prior opinion) and he suggested Epoxy which would cost 2500- to 3000.

My pool is 16 x 28. The fiberglass color is wearing in multiple sections (can see the fiberglass i think). There is minimal cracking.

Epoxy is definitely less expensive. Just wondering what I am losing by taking this route? Also, does anyone know any good websites to look at different colors of water that epoxy can provide (looking for actual displays).

I appreciate the help.

2. Back To Top    #2
    Tucson, AZ

Re: Repairing in ground fiberglass pools

I assume this is an epoxy paint? If so, it will not last more than a year or two, based on the experience of everyone on the forum who has ever tried it.
    11,200 gal, Pebble-Tec; Tristar 2-speed 1hp - Swimclear 325 ft2 cart - SWG - A & A in-floor cleaner - Heat pump. For the poolside cooking, a Yoder Wichita and a Big Steel Keg!
    TF Test Kits -- PoolMath -- Pool School
    Make each day your masterpiece. - John Wooden

3. Back To Top    #3

In the Industry

Re: Repairing in ground fiberglass pools

Look at I think that is the correct site. They have an epoxy fiberglass overlay system with different color finishes.
    Over 30 years in the pool business
    We build vinyl, fiberglass, stainless steel pools
    Certified in Hydraulics