Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: My first year with an ABG with SWG brought a brutal winter

1. Back To Top    #1
    South FL

My first year with an ABG with SWG brought a brutal winter

We closed our pool up back in October following the methods here. Crazy cold and snowy winter, and I hear there's more coming. With all the snow and ice storms we've had, I had a solid 2' of ice on top of the cover and only once did it melt enough to pump it off just for it to build back up again. Eventually, the cable snapped and the cover fell into the pool - which also appeared to be frozen solid. We just got back from vacation and everything had melted and the cover was in the water in the pool. At this point, should I just leave it off or should we put it back on? If so, do I need to worry about the water chem? I don't want to hook the plumbing and all that back up yet because I'm sure we'll have another snow or two. Any advice?
    17' x 30' plaster pool, Intellipro Variable Speed pump, filter that's about to be replaced, 1 skimmer and 2 returns, and that's about all I know about this pool!
    4' ledge all the way around, deep "scoop" about 9' deep - NO DIVING!

2. Back To Top    #2
    SouthWest Alabama

Re: My first year with an ABG with SWG brought a brutal winter

If you were going to go ahead and open it, I would say just leave it off, but since you're not, I'd say recover it. The cover will help slow down or prevent the algae from growing. If you don't recover it you're going to have a worse mess to deal with.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit