My first year with an ABG with SWG brought a brutal winter

minxcal

LifeTime Supporter
Jul 6, 2013
South FL
We closed our pool up back in October following the methods here. Crazy cold and snowy winter, and I hear there's more coming. With all the snow and ice storms we've had, I had a solid 2' of ice on top of the cover and only once did it melt enough to pump it off just for it to build back up again. Eventually, the cable snapped and the cover fell into the pool - which also appeared to be frozen solid. We just got back from vacation and everything had melted and the cover was in the water in the pool. At this point, should I just leave it off or should we put it back on? If so, do I need to worry about the water chem? I don't want to hook the plumbing and all that back up yet because I'm sure we'll have another snow or two. Any advice?

If you were going to go ahead and open it, I would say just leave it off, but since you're not, I'd say recover it. The cover will help slow down or prevent the algae from growing. If you don't recover it you're going to have a worse mess to deal with.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.