Filter Sizing- "I told you so..."

scratchedup

Gold Supporter
Apr 2, 2013
Fayetteville, GA
That filter looks way too small for such a large pool as well. For 26k gallons we would recommend at least a 350 sqft cartridge filter ... that is only 120 sqft. So, it is going to require much more frequent cleanings.

I think you might be right here.

My system had not run for about two months due to pump failure, the extreme cold spill in Georgia and my desire to re-build my entire pump/clean/SWG system.

During this time the pool became pretty dirty. I have been running the cleaner and filter for two days now on high speed to clean out the pool. Twice a day I have stopped and cleaned all the baskets, bags and main filter...a total of four times.

The pool is getting pretty clean and apparently the levels are good.

However, this morning I went to check the filter and it was very dirty...brown in color...

The pool "guy" I am dealing with and bought the new filter and 2 spd pump from says the 120 sqft is adequate since I have the Polaris with its cleaning bag... Looks like this is incorrect...

:confused:

From what I've learned here on the forums, you need to double the size this chart recommends.

FilterSize.jpg

These are actually MINIMUM recommended sizes per pool volume.

I'm surprised that no one had pointed you to this chart.

We generally double the DE and cartridge sizes in that chart. The sand sizes are fine.

In reality this chart and doubling may be a little too pessimistic in some cases. But in general the bigger the better.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.