Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Filter Sizing- "I told you so..."

1. Back To Top    #1

Filter Sizing- "I told you so..."

Quote Originally Posted by jblizzle View Post

That filter looks way too small for such a large pool as well. For 26k gallons we would recommend at least a 350 sqft cartridge filter ... that is only 120 sqft. So, it is going to require much more frequent cleanings.
    I think you might be right here.

My system had not run for about two months due to pump failure, the extreme cold spill in Georgia and my desire to re-build my entire pump/clean/SWG system.

During this time the pool became pretty dirty. I have been running the cleaner and filter for two days now on high speed to clean out the pool. Twice a day I have stopped and cleaned all the baskets, bags and main filter...a total of four times.

The pool is getting pretty clean and apparently the levels are good.

However, this morning I went to check the filter and it was very dirty...brown in color...

The pool "guy" I am dealing with and bought the new filter and 2 spd pump from says the 120 sqft is adequate since I have the Polaris with its cleaning bag... Looks like this is incorrect...

18 x 36' Liner ~26,000g, 1 Skimmer (Supply)- 2 & 1 1/2" pipe, 3 Returns (jets), HEAD- ?, FILTER- Hayward 12002, 230v, SWG- AUTOPILOT DIG-220, PUMP- Challenger 346204 w/ USA MOTOR (rebuilt) SF 1.25/,02, CLEANER- Polaris 280- AO Smith 3/4hp., FEATURE- Hayward 1.5 HP Super Pump.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Filter Sizing- "I told you so..."

From what I've learned here on the forums, you need to double the size this chart recommends.

FilterSize.jpg

These are actually MINIMUM recommended sizes per pool volume.

I'm surprised that no one had pointed you to this chart.
    15'x48" 4500 gallon Intex pool, buried 1.5 ft. Pac-Fab Dynamo 3/4 hp pump. Hayward S180T sand filter, bought used. Taylor K-2006 test kit. Rocket mass heater based wood fired pool heater.

3. Back To Top    #3

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie_R View Post
    From what I've learned here on the forums, you need to double the size this chart recommends.

FilterSize.jpg

These are actually MINIMUM recommended sizes per pool volume.

I'm surprised that no one had pointed you to this chart.
    THX

Sooo....does the fact that I have a Polaris 280 enter into the equation?
    18 x 36' Liner ~26,000g, 1 Skimmer (Supply)- 2 & 1 1/2" pipe, 3 Returns (jets), HEAD- ?, FILTER- Hayward 12002, 230v, SWG- AUTOPILOT DIG-220, PUMP- Challenger 346204 w/ USA MOTOR (rebuilt) SF 1.25/,02, CLEANER- Polaris 280- AO Smith 3/4hp., FEATURE- Hayward 1.5 HP Super Pump.

4. Back To Top    #4

I wouldn't think so, as the bag on it is foe catching the large debris from the floor of your pool, not for main filtering duty.
    15'x48" 4500 gallon Intex pool, buried 1.5 ft. Pac-Fab Dynamo 3/4 hp pump. Hayward S180T sand filter, bought used. Taylor K-2006 test kit. Rocket mass heater based wood fired pool heater.

5. Back To Top    #5

We generally double the DE and cartridge sizes in that chart. The sand sizes are fine.

In reality this chart and doubling may be a little too pessimistic in some cases. But in general the bigger the better.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

6. Back To Top    #6

What about reusing my old sand filter in-line with the 12002 filter element. Sand first then element...?????

7. Back To Top    #7

You could, however, you will lose some flow rate through both in series.

If you do that, a suggestion would be to add valves so you could bypass either of them, or both.