Help cleaning up green pool

well progress has been coming along, seeing slight differences everyday. This morning I woke up with a different problem, I have water bugs in my pool, not exactly sure what they are, just some type of bug that lives in the water. I have scooped as many out as i can but i keep seeing more. My question is, will the chlorine deal with them or is there something else I have to do i.e. scoop them all out.

Here is the progress view:

pool cleanup 2.jpg

sorry if the picture quality is low, the original said it exceeded my quota, does anyone know what to do about that?

Just scoop as many bugs out as you can. It won't affect the SLAM. Your making progress ! Just keep the FC levels up to SLAM level and test as often as you can.
It's better to put your pic's at someplace like photo bucket and then link them to the forum. I use Tapatalk and you can upload photos right from Tapatalk to the forum. ?

the water bugs are better than 1000s of frogs. Dont worry about the bugs.....

well progress has been coming along, seeing slight differences everyday. This morning I woke up with a different problem, I have water bugs in my pool, not exactly sure what they are, just some type of bug that lives in the water. I have scooped as many out as i can but i keep seeing more. My question is, will the chlorine deal with them or is there something else I have to do i.e. scoop them all out.

Here is the progress view:

View attachment 28085

sorry if the picture quality is low, the original said it exceeded my quota, does anyone know what to do about that?

You are moving right along! Keep the FC up and you'll kill those bugs!

sorry, haven't been able to get on here in a couple days, but I have been working on the pool, but it seems like i'm not making any progress, I've been keeping my FC plenty high around the 30 level, and now over the past few days it isnt losing much FC. I think I lost a total of 4-5 FC over all of yesterday and last night. Here is what it looks like as of this morning, not much has changed.

pool cleanup 3.jpg

any suggestions?

I know that the high chlorine can mess with the PH readings but when i started my PH was above 7.8 and then about a day ago it just dropped to about 6.8-7.0, Is this just the CYA taking affect?

Couple things....

First, go back and look at all your pictures. You're making progress!!

Second, you've hit the zone that most people hit when clearing up a swamp. The FC drop slows way down, but doesn't go away, and the water clarity seems to stall out. This is normal! DO NOT QUIT!! If anything, go find your tub of POP and take a big swig.

Sand filters take the longest to clear a swamp. When I open my clean pool in the spring, it takes almost a week before it sparkles. Yours will take longer, so just let it do its job.

Continue SLAMing, but at this point you can start to look for the trouble spots. Is there anywhere with poor circulation where algae can hide? Possibly a light niche? In, on, or behind stairs? Are you brushing at least once a day, preferably more often that that?

If your arms are tired and you're still feeling frustrated, take a break, crack an adult beverage, and reread some of the other "swamp to clear" threads. Almost everyone hits the point where they feel like they've hit a wall and are ready to quit. Then, like magic, it all of a sudden clears and they're done.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
well that's a relief. Yes I have been brushing twice a day, once when I wake up and once when I get off work. Also, I don't seem to be backwashing as much as I thought I would, it has only climbed about 5psi once and then i backwashed more so cause it felt like I should. Other than that I have been following the SLAM process as much as I can

well, got up this morning and tested the pool, it was right at 30 FC maybe lost 2 overnight (if that). 30 is what im aiming for (i put in a little extra at night) 5 minutes ago i tested it and its at 29 with a CC of 0.5 or less and I haven't added any bleach today. Now i guess i just have to wait until the filter gets it all out? Is there anything I could do to help speed up the process, i.e. put the vacuum in the bottom of the pool so it pulls from there instead of just from the skimmers? it just seems to be acting really clean to be looking that bad.

P.S. ran out of my supply of POP, does anyone know where i can get some more?

got off of work this morning to a good sight, i can actually see the pattern on my vinyl on the bottom of my pool! despite the picture (at least to me) it is getting better slowly but surly. I was a little worried because due to work I was unable to touch the pool yesterday, but this morning when i got off work my FC was only down about 5 over a 48 hour span and my CC was less than 0.5, I actually thought there was none, but when i poured out the sample there was a slight hint of pink so there is some in there still.

pool cleanup 4.jpg

It's Friday! Today POP comes in bottles with ABV printed on the side. I recommend something in the 6-7% range with a little hoppiness.

2 of those, a pair of board shorts, flip flops and pool net. Life is good.

Your filter is going to do most of the work now. It's clearing. Be patient.

coming into week three of the SLAM, and its slowly but surely cleaning up, i can see more and more of the bottom everyday. Its not eating chlorine anymore and my CC is staying below 0.5, the only thing left now is for it to clear up. My question is, do i still need to keep it at SLAM level or can I ease up a little bit, maybe just an elevated FC level? Here is the progress view:

pool cleanup 5.jpg

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.