Keep water or replace

Jun 23, 2012
Got a pool two years ago. Pump died end of first season. We did not open the pool last year. Over the summer we ended up with a frog infestation in the pool. I just ordered a new pump and filter and plan to reopen the pool once it arrives. What is the best method for me to use? Dump the water scrub empty pool? Keep water and scrub? I have no problem dumping and ordering two truckloads of water. I just don't want to order new water and it be green due to how much algae is in there currently. The filter had a leak so my current water level is about 3 inches below the skimmer basket. Thanks for your help.

15x30 above ground vinyl pool (13500 gal if I've counted right)
19inch sand filter with 1.5HP pump

Thanks,
Rebecca - Lost and Confused

There's no simple answer. A lot depends on test results. You're going to need a good test kit anyway, why not order one early? If you suffer from super-high CH or CYA because you followed the pool store method, dumping makes sense. Remember, though, you can't (well, shouldn't) drain a vinyl pool all the way lest the liner wrinkle. So you'll still have plenty of green sludge to deal with no matter what.

Once that is determined, then weigh the cost of the water versus the cost of forty or fifty gallons of bleach and decide. Facts are what should sway your decision.

Perhaps a hybrid approach; scoop out what you can, then vacuum to waste to remove the majority of the goop, and then refill and SLAM.

It all depends on test results, really.

Get yourself a good test kit. I would kit the TF100 with the XL option. The XL option has the extra reagents you'll need for SLAMMing. The speed stirrer is a nice option too. It's a handy little thing to have.
Now when you get the kit post up a full set of test results. They will tell the story on where you stand especially the CYA level. That level will determine if you have to replace some water to make it easier to preform the SLAM PROCESS. Take a look at the process with this link and get familiar with it. http://www.troublefreepool.com/content/125-slam-shock-level-and-maintain-shockingl ?

Concerning your pool volume. My AGP 16x32 they SAID holds 13,500 gallons. It hold a bit less than that mid level of the skimmer. Use the pool depth to there and you'll be closer to right.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.