Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Balance for Fiberglass Pools

1. Back To Top    #1

Balance for Fiberglass Pools

I wish there were more posts or references specific for fiberglass pools as there are for plaster, etc. Today PoolMath suggests I'm at slight risk for corrosion to plaster yet I don't have any to speak of although I do have cement coping. Are there equipment concerns I am unaware of?

Today-
    FC 11.5 ( SWG off since fall, autocover protecting from sun and organics, open over winter to breath occasionally but more often now- yay spring!)
    CC 0
    pH 7.5 (debating if raising to 7.8 is needed to make CSI numbers prettier?)
    Temp 60-65
    TA 80
    CH 240 (seriously soft tap water)
    CYA 50 (run slightly low because of protection of autocover)
    NA 3400
    So does anyone see anything of great concern for my fiberglass pool?

Yippee (Skippy's other half)
    My Amazon Smile for November12K Fiberglass IG, Infinity 4000 automatic cover, SWCG, Hayward Sand Filter, Hayward 1.5 Pump, Doheny Discovery Robot, Savi Melody LED pool lights, outdoor speakers and other assorted doo-dads. Sundance Altamar Hot Tub.
    Our pool build--> Our Pool Solved Our Sloping Yard Skippy's Cheap Pool Cooler -->Skippy's New Fountain

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Balance for Fiberglass Pools

Plaster is more work that fiberglass. There is simply no point in even looking at CSI, as it has no bearing on fiberglass at all. All you need to do is keep within the recommended levels for fiberglass and you are good.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Well, yeah, that's another reason we picked fiberglass. But I started to wonder about the equipment and coping when my water is so soft (how much Calcium do I really need to worry about??). My pool stays so stable it's almost....boring? LOL
    My Amazon Smile for November12K Fiberglass IG, Infinity 4000 automatic cover, SWCG, Hayward Sand Filter, Hayward 1.5 Pump, Doheny Discovery Robot, Savi Melody LED pool lights, outdoor speakers and other assorted doo-dads. Sundance Altamar Hot Tub.
    Our pool build--> Our Pool Solved Our Sloping Yard Skippy's Cheap Pool Cooler -->Skippy's New Fountain

4. Back To Top    #4

Is the equipment in contact with the water made out of concrete/plaster? If not it will be fine. (Just make sure your never let the PH go down below 6.8 for more than a moment.) The coping is above the water line, so it will be fine.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

5. Back To Top    #5

Darn it all Jason... I never have anything to tweak!! I need to go find someone with a nice icky green pool so I can *do* something

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by YippeeSkippy View Post
    Darn it all Jason... I never have anything to tweak!! I need to go find someone with a nice icky green pool so I can *do* something
    Talk about a 'trouble free' pool
    TFP Moderator TF100 Test Kit TF100 TestKit YouTube Channel PoolMath
    You're done SLAMing when:
    1)You lose 1ppm or less FC overnight, & 2)You have .5ppm CC's or less, & 3)your water is clear.

~ One should not use a sledge hammer to swat a mosquito. ~

If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

7. Back To Top    #7

You can come and help open my pool!

Involves hard plumbing the skimmer, cleaning out the debris that made it through the mesh cover over winter, finishing filling, and balancing the water. Oh, and figuring out a better way to mount the ladder........
    15'x48" 4500 gallon Intex pool, buried 1.5 ft. Pac-Fab Dynamo 3/4 hp pump. Hayward S180T sand filter, bought used. Taylor K-2006 test kit. Rocket mass heater based wood fired pool heater.

8. Back To Top    #8

The only possible need for calcium carbonate saturation (or partial saturation) would be if you had a calcium carbonate in your gelcoat on the fiberglass. It is not a primary component of gelcoat, but it is sometimes used as a "filler", especially in lower quality gelcoat. This post describes a gelcoat that does not have calcium carbonate in it.

[EDIT]One more possibility for having some CH (say, 150 ppm) in a fiberglass pool is that it may reduce the likelihood of cobalt spotting/staining. Cobalt is used in the gelcoat and waterbear had indicated that CH might reduce the likelihood of cobalt staining. We don't know why nor do we have enough fiberglass pools reporting in to know how much CH prevents this or if it always does. [END-EDIT].
    16,000 gallon outdoor in-ground 16'x32' plaster pool; Pentair Intelliflo VF pump; Pentair IntelliTouch i9+3s control system; Jandy CL-340 square foot cartridge filter
    12 Fafco solar panels; Purex Triton PowerMax 250 natural gas heater (200,000 BTU/hr output); automatic electric pool safety cover; 4-wheel pressure-side "The Pool Cleaner"

9. Back To Top    #9

Quote Originally Posted by YippeeSkippy View Post
    I would like to submit my application for your offer, we are even in the same geographic area!
    26,000 gallon IG vinyl, Pentair Sand filter, Pentair Intellichlor IC40 SWG, Pentair Intelliflo variable speed pump, Polaris type cleaner, turbo slide and diving board. (If you listen closely, you can hear millions of algae crying for help)