Is a Through the wall skimmer necessary?

Not a dumb question.

That said, since your sig line says you have an Intex, I assume that you are currently using the little round floating skimmer that comes stock with most of their pools.

What I've found with mine is that the over wall bracket is weak, and has a tendency to break after a season or two. The Ultra Frame bracket may be built a little stronger, but may still have the same problems as the regular frame models.

Installing a through the wall skimmer isn't a problem. Many here have done it, and wouldn't return to the much smaller stock unit.

From what I can tell from comments here, the through the wall works much better. I have installed one on my pool this last week, and will be hard plumbing it before I open in the next couple of weeks. We'll see how much better it performs.

Thanks. Yes, we have the over the wall skimmer. I'm not too worried about the installation process but more about saving money ;) if we can get by without it great! We haven't set the pool up for the year but we want to do it right without overkill :crazy:
You'll have to let me know how it works for you.

- - - Updated - - -

Thank ya JasonLion :)

I had several intex pools and now I have a better brand. The new pool has a through the wall wide mouth skimmer. It is 10000 times better than the one provided by intex. The design of the through the wall is better and therefore it works better. I love being able to push the stuff to the opening and watch it get sucked in. The intex was to small to do that. Also, adding certain things, like Liquid solar heat is easier with a through the wall. The intex basket does sometimes float out into the pool and it can be difficult to get the skimmer positioned properly. If it's what you have and you don't want to spend more money the intex will suffice. But if you want to set it and forget it except for cleaning, through the wall is the way to go. Lastly, if you have a good pump, you can hook an auto vac to the through the wall. A lot more complicated with the intex.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.