Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: New House & Vinyl Pool

1. Back To Top    #1

New House & Vinyl Pool

We are getting ready to close on a new house. It is a foreclosure and I guess the pool was closed in Fall 2012 and never re-opened last year. We are enjoying our first 50+ degree day here so my husband & I decided to take a ride to take a look at the pool. We pulled back the winter cover and it is still frozen solid, but it is a solid ice block of dark gray/black. It is a vinyl liner pool so draining it is out of the question. How hard will it be to get it clear once we open it? Would this stain the vinyl liner? Would we be better off having the liner replaced and starting from scratch? I looked over the pool equipment and it has the dreaded Frog chlorinator. It also doesn't look like I will be able to vacuum to waste.
    20,000 gallons vinyl, I/G, 4 cartridge filtrs, 2 HP dual speed Hayward Super Pump, Pool Frog XL Pro automatic chlorinator (trichlor tabs), built 2008, Phantom auto cleaner (rarely used)

2. Back To Top    #2
    Silver Spring, MD

Re: New House & Vinyl Pool

As long as it has been covered you should be fine. The serious problems happen when there are several feet of debris on the bottom, which shouldn't happen if it has been covered.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School