Finally the headache

Mar 13, 2014
United States
So i've been reading on here for a little over a week trying to learn but im getting a headache from not making sense of this pool. Before i came here my pool was green with algae. There was an algae bloom and i panicked and ended up at the pool store. a couple hundred bucks later i dumped tons of stuff in the pool and now its blue. 1 quart of algacide, 12lbs of shock, 1 bottle of pool first aide, and 2 gallons of very expensive stabilizer. I still need to post about my pool but so far i understand its an old pool, plaster i think, and Just moved into this house and not too familiar with pools. Pool store stated its around 25,000 gallons. these are my numbers from saturday.

using an HTH 6 way kit
cl/br 1
ph 7.2
alkaline 100
hardness 360
cyanuric 50

I've been testing everyday since then and seems to be okay.

Todays test
CL/BR looks like 5
PH 7.4

water has a gloss to it on top but cloudy throughout. Has a sandfilter i don't know much about. Broken psi guage. I have a valley instrument stainless 30psi guage in the mail and im waiting to install it. Also been using trichloroceritops tabs and learned on here to stop cause of the cya rise. Just pulled those yesturday and i had 3 tabs floating around the pool constantly prior to that. Bought walmart pool shock but confused as the pool store said dry shock lasts longer yet on here you guys state to use liquid chlorine or bleach. Just picked up 3 gallons of bleach but waiting to how the levels turn out.

oh and if anyone reading this in glendale Arizona the NPS pool supply has their liquid chlorine on sale 2 one gallons jugs for 5 bucks. I don't know the percentage im checking it out tomorrow. I also read to stay away pool chlorine stored outside like at home depot and lowes. Any help would be appreciated.

Welcome to TFP!

Sounds like you are almost your way. To clear up the pool and take control, you need one of the recommended test kits that includes the FAS-DPD chlorine test. With it, you can then follow the SLAM process and get a sparkling pool back.

Luckily your numbers do not appear to be you of whack with a reasonable CYA, so you will just need a lot of that liquid chlorine you found.

All solid chlorine either adds CYA or calcium. You know the CYA is bad, but in AZ we do not want to be adding calcium either. Stick with liquid.

Well im looking at just adding a FAS DPD test Taylor K1515A kit so i can get a good reading on the free chlorine. Doesn't seem to make sense to order a whole new kit since the HTH covers most of the other stuff. Maybe when i get low on the rest i can order the complete TF 100 kit. As for the powder chlorine what are the draw backs on that? With 47% available chlorine Im guessing the rest is filler? junk im adding into the pool?
When you refer to solid are you talking about just tabs or also powder shock?

In the TF 100 kit whats the difference between the OTO and combined chlorimines test?

By solid I mean tabs or powders. Tablets are Trichlor and some powders are Dichlor which both add CYA. The other powders are cal hypo which add calcium.

I guess with the hth test you already got an idea of the CYA, although not much reagent to test again. You might just need the FAS-DPD for now. You will need a lot of the reagent to SLAM. You can get more at tftestkits.net

OTO tests the total chlorine like the pink DPD chlorine test you have, but does not have some if the drawbacks. The only easy to accurately test the FC and CC is with the FAS-DPD.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.