Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Multiport Valve Handle Rotation Direction

1. Back To Top    #1

Multiport Valve Handle Rotation Direction

Here's a question I have from my one pool store visit last fall. They told me that I should only rotate the selector handle on the Sand Dollar multiport valve in one direction (I forget which) or it would tear up the spider gasket in the valve. Specifically this is a Pentair #262506 valve. I replaced the valve and took the old valve apart. I couldnt see that one direction over the other would really make any difference. I've searched on the internet and the only precaution I found was to shut off the pump before changing valve positions. Was this more pool store made up stuff?

Thanks,

Russ
    33' diameter, 25,000 gal Above Ground Pool
    Pentair Dynamo 1.0 hp, 2 speed pump (#340204)
    Pentair Sand Dollar 60 filter

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Multiport Valve Handle Rotation Direction

I am not sure that it matters if you turn both directions or not. I have been told the same. Might be safer to only go one direction, either is fine. Just make sure pump is off and you fully disengage it.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

I don't see why it would matter a bit. Haven't paid any attention to it in going on 5 years.
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

4. Back To Top    #4

Not sure if this is a valid reason, but because of the direction the main spring is wound, the ends of the spring will tend to dig into the plastic housing when turned in one direction and not dig in when turned in the other direction. In reality, the ends are ground generally flat so they will work in either direction, but I noticed mine are not perfect, and would probably wear a groove if rotated in the "dig-in" direction. In my case counterclockwise is the better way to go, which corresponds with the counterclockwise facing arrow marked by the manufacturer on the housing.
    21K gal 16' x 40' in-ground pool built 1959, old school with Jacuzzi bronze pump, American Products 24" Sand Filter & Americana Multiport valve, Jandy Lite2 millivolt heater, Coverstar cover, and classic Kreepy Krauly.

5. Back To Top    #5

The direction does not matter. However, I have found that as the multiport ages, it can sometimes seem to turn in one direction easier than the other. If the stem O-rings get worn in a particular pattern, from always going the same way, then that way might be easier than going the opposite way from usual. Some people tend to have a preferential direction, but that's probably based on what feels more natural.

When the handle is depressed, the diverter is raised above the spider gasket and does not have any contact until the handle is released.

[edit] re: gtemkin's point.

That does make sense; however, I have never seen any evidence of the spring digging in. In most cases, there are flat stainless steel washers on both sides of the spring to prevent the gouging of the plastic. Even when the washers are missing, the plastic does not seem to get gouged. I suppose it could happen and one could use the direction that poses the least risk of gouging the plastic. However, I think that using the direction that's the easiest will probably be the better option. [end edit]

6. Back To Top    #6

Sounds like the designs vary slightly on different models. In my case the spring rides directly in the housing on it's bottom surface, but it has a tough polyethylene washer between it's upper surface and the underside of the lid. So, it sounds like if it's marked or stated in the manual for only one direction of rotation, follow that guidance, otherwise your free to swing it either way.
    21K gal 16' x 40' in-ground pool built 1959, old school with Jacuzzi bronze pump, American Products 24" Sand Filter & Americana Multiport valve, Jandy Lite2 millivolt heater, Coverstar cover, and classic Kreepy Krauly.

7. Back To Top    #7

The manual doesnt say either way and the valve isnt marked with a direction rotation. When I asked the pool store woman why the valve wasnt marked if it was that important, she led me to believe it was done that way so people would tear up their spider gaskets. Really??? If it was that fragile, Pentair would mark it.

The previous owner of the house told me the same thing about only turning it in one direction, but he was using the same pool store where I went.

I've been turning it whichever way is closer to where I want it set. Thanks for the help!

Russ
    33' diameter, 25,000 gal Above Ground Pool
    Pentair Dynamo 1.0 hp, 2 speed pump (#340204)
    Pentair Sand Dollar 60 filter