New Clearwater LM-40 cracks around positive (red) terminal

poolaz

Mar 20, 2014
Arizona
I just installed a new Clearwater LM-40 salt cell. When I turned on power, it started leaking around the positive red terminal. It looks like the plastic around it got blown out a bit with cracks causing a leak. Photo attached. Could this have happened with a power surge, or was the unit just defective?

Attachments

• 2014-03-20_11-53-56_665.jpg
    2014-03-20_11-53-56_665.jpg
    93.1 KB · Views: 38
Welcome to TFP, PoolAZ.

Are you certain it had no cracks when you were installing prior to powering it up? Is there any chance it was powered up for any time without flow? I'm no SWG expert, but it seems odd that you would get a power surge and have it cause that. Let us know what the manufacturer says about it. I'm curious to hear what they say.

Thanks, Brushpup. No, I was not certain as I was not looking for cracks. I'm sure I would have noticed the blown out plastic shown in the photo before installing.

It was powered up a the same time the pump was turned on, so it did not have water in it for a short time. I suppose that might have been a possible issue, but I have not had that problem with other cells. Next time I will be sure to have water flowing before attaching the terminals.

I'm waiting for the distributor to respond if I can replace under warranty. I'm past the 30 days no questions asked period.

Just to wrap this up, I'm getting a warranty replacement unit. Had to get a service technician to come out and verify that my system was functioning properly, and that the cell is defective. Still less expensive than buying another new cell.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.