Swg newbi

Mar 3, 2014
PA
Hello, I have a new unground indoor pool heated. I also have a Jandy SWG in which the recommended salt to be added to the fresh newly filled pool with city water was 320 pounds. So I added 320 lbs of the solar salt. SWG is set at 3/4 of the way or about 75%

I bought salt water test strips and they are only reading about 4.2 or about 1250 PPM. But the recommended by Jandy is around 3500 PPM. Do i really need to add about another 400 pounds of salt? That seems like a lot!!

What does the SWG think the salt level is? That is what is important. There have been some reports of the test strips going bad and giving bad results.

How big is your pool? Please add your pool details to your signature and location to your profile as described HERE as it will help us help you.

If I knew the size, we could verify the expected amount of salt you would have needed.

What does the SWG think the salt level is? That is what is important. There have been some reports of the test strips going bad and giving bad results.

How big is your pool? Please add your pool details to your signature and location to your profile as described HERE as it will help us help you.

If I knew the size, we could verify the expected amount of salt you would have needed.

Hello, I have no idea how to check with the SWG as to what it thinks it is?? I only have an On/Off button and salt output button on the Jandy AquaPure Ei Series Salt Generator 120V Plug-In APURE35PLG

The pool is indoor, inground, heated, with sand filter, Vinyl Liner and 12x24, 10800 gallons.

Well, 320 pounds would have had to have added about 3500ppm of salt ... so given that it is a new fill, that must be where you are and the test strips are just plain wrong. Also I would think that the SWG would not be running and would have a light or something warning about low salt if it was.

What are the rest of your test results? What CYA? What FC level are you targeting? What test kit are you using?

Well, 320 pounds would have had to have added about 3500ppm of salt ... so given that it is a new fill, that must be where you are and the test strips are just plain wrong. Also I would think that the SWG would not be running and would have a light or something warning about low salt if it was.

What are the rest of your test results? What CYA? What FC level are you targeting? What test kit are you using?

The Jandy is not giving any warning signs. All of my test with the LaMotte 2056 ColorQ Pro 7 Digital Pool Water Test Kit come out within the suggested limits. How do I get a true test of the salt in the water? I know when I walk into the pool room, I can smell the Chlorine and my eyes burn a little. But I think my eyes are just sensitive...LOL

None of the salt tests are all that good, so the best you can do is getting a rough idea of the salt level. Normally the salt test strips are a good way to do that, though for some reason they are way off this time. Taylor has a salt test that is a little more reliable, but in this situation there isn't really any point in buying a new test kit. The SWG is happy and your calculations on the amount to add seem correct so it will be simplest to just leave it alone till next year.

My test strips are way inaccurate. As in not in the same ballpark. The Taylor drop test seems to be accurate enough for me. But like Jason said, if the SWG is happy, just leave it as is.

Note you need to add bleach to the pool at first, bring it up to the proper FC, then let the SWG do its job from there.

Just a note that we put very little faith in digital testers ... they have repeated proven to be inaccurate with no way to know if they are giving valid results. These are the Recommended Test Kits we suggest.

Digital testers always remind me of this cartoon:
dilbert-randomnumbergenerator999.png

You may need to cycle the unit off and back on for it to get an updated salt reading, especially if you're not running the pump on a timer.
Make sure you've got your main drain opened as well, as the heavier salted water, may be sitting on the bottom of your pool, while the skimmer is only picking up surface level water (which can have a lower concentration of salt than the bottom - especially if your return jets are aiming towards the surface of the pool).

I will just leave it alone as suggested as it seems happy. Oh and yes the water was shocked with a gallon of bleach before any salt was added. My filter is on a timer to run every every 3 hours for 1 hour and heater shuts off 15 min before the pump. All seems good

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.