Booster vs Suction side and plumbing/connection?

We are going to be putting in a new 16 x 32 rectangular pool with an automatic cover for heat gain and debree (loc - Albuquerque). I am up on the air on the cleaner to use. Probably will go with either a suction side crawler or a pressure side with booster. I am leaning toward the suction side because of cost and energy use but having them plumb so I can add the pressure side with booster should I want to at a later date. So my questions are: Is having it pre-plumbed (really just a capped return line to the pool and if I add the booster crawler grab supply off of the pool returns?) a good, bad or indifferent idea? Never having used a suction side cleaner, do they have a dedicated hole you plug them into that closes or covers itself when unplugged or how do they ideally work? What I liked about our booster driven pressure side crawler was that I could program it to come on 2 hours a day and it came on, pool was cleaned and it went off and just left it in the pool. Seems like the suction side you have to actively put in and take out although you could just leave it in all the time except for when you are swimming. Mostly I would like input on why one might be preferred over the other and the plumbing question (what is the ideal way for the suction side to connect, and is having a booster pump return line plumbed during construction in case I want add one a bad idea for some reason?) . Thanks!

Likely a good idea to have a dedicated cleaner line with a hole in the pool. Then at the pad you could either plumb it to the suction side OR the pressure side depending what type of cleaner you get. Realize that there are pressure side cleaners that do NOT require a booster pump as another option. Make a it 2" pipe and that would allow you to run any kind of cleaner through it that you like. Many boosted pressure cleaners have smaller lines since they run on low flow that would not be conducive for use with a suction cleaner.

Having the dedicated cleaner line for a suction cleaners allows you to not obstruct the skimmer when the cleaner is in the pool (same as your previous pressure cleaner).

You could use automated valves to turn the cleaner (either suction side or non-boosted pressure side) on and off at the equipment pad utilizing your main pool pump.

Here is some reading on cleaners: http://www.troublefreepool.com/content/162-automatic-pool-cleaners

Thanks Jason, and I did read the link you supplied. We had a Polaris 280 in our last pool and it worked well. Didn't particularly like dealing with the bag and there was maintenance from time to time but worked well. Your idea of having a line that can be dedicated for either is a good one. I am only familiar with how the Polaris twist connected into the hole at the pool. Is that a fairly standard receiver for all pressure side cleaners? How do the suction side cleaners connect? When I put in the dedicated line I will need to have some sort of fitting at the pool. Is there a good one to go with that adapts easily to the different connection styles (assuming they don't all connect the same way)? I think what I am leaning toward is a dedicated 2" line and going with a suction side cleaner and then, if I am not happy I could use that same line as the pressure side for a booster cleaner and just plumb a supply to that pump from the pool return. Also, on a suction cleaner it looks like you just plumb it into the one of the skimmer lines. To get enough suction do you need to valve it so that skimmer is closed off when the cleaner is on or should there be enough suction for it to work with that skimmer skimming at the same time? The pool is 16 x 32, about 21000 gallons, am planning to use a 1hp VS pump. Thanks!

I would run the cleaner line all the way to the equipment pad with a 3-way valve to select between it and the skimmer. If you also have a floor drain, I would plumb that to the pad as well with a 3-way between it and the skimmer.

You will have to learn where the valves need to be to provide enough suction for the cleaner.

If you go with a suction, I would recommend The Pool Cleaner based on reviews I see here. It seems to require less flow rate than most allowing you to either run the pump on lower speed with all flow through the cleaner or still have some skimmer action while the cleaner is running.

I think the cleaner line would just terminate in the pool with a regular female threaded fitting (like on in-wall eyeballs) and then I assume the cleaners have some adapter as needed to attach to them. But, honestly I have no experience with these.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.