Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Start up after winter

1. Back To Top    #1

Start up after winter

since this is my first time opening my pool after winter I want to make sure I do it correct. I know that until the water get up to 60 degrees I cant start up my SWG so if I open it before then what is best way to balance water. I bought a leaf net and plan on taking my pool cover off in a couple of weeks and start up pump and filter and put on leaf net to help with the oak quigglies. My water was crystal clear when I closed and hope it has stayed that way, thanks for any help
    27' Swim n Play Mystic II 52" Extruded Resin 17,200 gallons
    Hayward E series high rate sand pump
    Hayward wide mouth skimmer
    Saltron Retro SWG
    Hayward Aqua Critter

2. Back To Top    #2

Start up after winter

Do you have a good test kit ? If you do test FC, PH and I would also test CYA. Use bleach to get your FC in range for your CYA. Keep using bleach until your SWG is ready to be fired up. Adjust PH if you need too. Adjust CYA if you need to. Make sure to bring water sample to room temp for the CYA test.
    I would do this before water temp got to 60. 😎
    Jeff
    24'x54" AG Morada RTR (by wilbar) 13'500 gal. Hayward Powerflo Matrix 1hp 2 speed. Hayward Perflex EC65 DE filter.

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: Start up after winter

Also, make sure your salt level is where it should be before kicking in the SWG.
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

4. Back To Top    #4

yes I have a good test kit ,I have the TF-100 AND K-1766 , , and the only test that the water needs to be room temp is the CYA? I am hoping to remove cover and do start up in a couple of weeks, thanks for help

- - - Updated - - -

Is it safe to assume that I will need to add salt ? and should I wait and add salt right before turning on SWG?
    27' Swim n Play Mystic II 52" Extruded Resin 17,200 gallons
    Hayward E series high rate sand pump
    Hayward wide mouth skimmer
    Saltron Retro SWG
    Hayward Aqua Critter

5. Back To Top    #5

I would think you could add the salt a day before you fire the SWG up if you have to add salt. Just make sure to test for it.
    As far as I know the only test that is a little sensitive to water temp is the CYA test. 😎
    Jeff
    24'x54" AG Morada RTR (by wilbar) 13'500 gal. Hayward Powerflo Matrix 1hp 2 speed. Hayward Perflex EC65 DE filter.