Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Repair of Gunite Stairs

1. Back To Top    #1

Repair of Gunite Stairs

Have a couple of small repairs I need to make on the gunite stairs. One where the Kreepy grinded into them over the years and another 3" x 3" section where a thin sliver of gunite came loose. Leslies recommended I use non-sanded grout since I could pretty much match the color of the gunite. They also suggested e-z patch pool plaster but the color would not match nearly as well. Has anyone used grout the patch a section of gunite? Thanks for the help!

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Repair of Gunite Stairs

I don't know, but hopefully someone can weigh in on this for you. Just giving it a before it gets buried.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Pentair 36"SF & VS Pump, Dolphin M5, Rheem

3. Back To Top    #3

In the Industry

I've used E-Z Patch many times with good success. The manufacturer offers videos on their website. If the rough area on the steps is in the 90 degree angle (or so) of the step where the horizontal surface meets the vertical surface it may be more difficult to get the patch to hold especially if it is small areas needing to be patched. I've never used grout for this.

What color is your plaster?
    Josh Ulfers - josh@saltpoolguys.com - 888-725-8766
    SaltPoolGuys.com - AutoPilot Pool Pilot Systems, Parts & Cells - AquaCal Heat Pumps

4. Back To Top    #4

Thanks Josh, that was quick and helpful.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Pentair 36"SF & VS Pump, Dolphin M5, Rheem

5. Back To Top    #5

Thanks for the help guys. Pool stairs are an off white color so the E-Z patch will probably not match well. I've watched the videos for E-Z patch and it does look fairly easy to use (albeit a little pricey). That may be my best bet though. Thanks again for the help (and for bumping my post)!

Quote Originally Posted by JoshU View Post
    I've used E-Z Patch many times with good success. The manufacturer offers videos on their website. If the rough area on the steps is in the 90 degree angle (or so) of the step where the horizontal surface meets the vertical surface it may be more difficult to get the patch to hold especially if it is small areas needing to be patched. I've never used grout for this.

What color is your plaster?