Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Expansion Joint caulking/ Sealing

1. Back To Top    #1

Expansion Joint caulking/ Sealing

Would like to know my self I am removing the wood joints in concrete to many splinters ....

Split from same topic in a different thread. Please post a new question and don't ask one in someone else's thread. Brushpup.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Expansion Joint caulking/ Sealing

I moved your topic here as per my PM to you. Please expand on your question for answers.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Pentair 36"SF & VS Pump, Dolphin M5, Rheem

3. Back To Top    #3

nothing wrong with removing the wood in expansion joints. If you do it, it's recommended to re-fill the joint with foam backer rod and self leveling caulk. You can google it and get step by step instructions.

Quote Originally Posted by tommyhernandez View Post
    Would like to know my self I am removing the wood joints in concrete to many splinters ....

Split from same topic in a different thread. Please post a new question and don't ask one in someone else's thread. Brushpup.
    Divin Dave,
    IG Vinyl, 15' x 30', 3 1/2' - 6' deep, Oval, ~15K gal, Intelliclor IC40, Intelliflo VS pump, Clean and Clear 420 Filter, auto-fill-disabled, Retrofit LED Color Light, Dolphin Nautilus Robot, TF100 Test Kit, Taylor K1766 Salt Test Kit, Tftestkit Pressure Gauge.
    www.tftestkits.net Experience- it's what's learned just after you needed it most !!

4. Back To Top    #4

Have you ever heard of re lasting a pool with out chipping out the plaster first?

5. Back To Top    #5

Yes, if the old plaster is still well bonded. But I would personally prefer to chip it all out.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

6. Back To Top    #6

I got a couple of estimates to replaster my pool. One contractor stated, "You pool is 17 years old and has never been replastered. To maintain the integrity of your original pool shell, we would sandblast the old plaster, then apply a bonding agent, then apply a new plaster coat to the bonding agent." He simply refused to chip it out by saying a chip out is for a pool that has been sandblasted a couple of times first and is 20 years or older. The next day another contractor stated: "The only way to get proper bonding on a new plaster coat is to chip it out down to the gunite shell. Whatever you do, DO NOT SANDBLAST THE ORIGINAL OLD PLASTER AND APPLY A NEW PLASTER COAT TO ANY BONDING COAT. IT WILL NOT ADHERE PROPERLY AND YOU WILL BE WASTING YOUR MONEY." Which one of these contractors is telling me the truth?