First Water Test

Mar 3, 2014
Tamarac, Florida
FC - 0
PH - 7.8
BR - 0

Those were the 3 tests my kit had. There was another one where I could add drops of solution to help determine how much acid I needed or something, and that took 5 drops to bring the PH down to 7.4. (If that helps make any sense)

Don't worry about BR unless you have a bromine pool.
pH is a little high but not enough to worry about right now.
Since we don't have an idea about how much CYA is in the pool we can't make a recommendation on how much FC you should shoot for, but I'd at least add enough chlorine to get to about 5 ppm if you've ever used anything with CYA in it.

You really need a good test kit.

Like Bama Rambler said, You really need a good test kit.

I agree with his advice about adding enough chlorine to get about 5ppm. If you just opened the pool and are in the process of getting it cleaned up, you might even want to bring it higher initially.

You are going to want a test kit that can tell you a lot more than what you have. A good test kit should be able to test for:
Free Chlorine
Total Chlorine
pH
Total Alkalinity
Calcium Hardness
Cyanuric Acid

You won't necessarily have to test for each and every one of these things every time you test, but you will want to have them all for when you do need them.

This is the test kit I use for diagnosing problem pools. http://tftestkits.net/TF-100-Test-Kit-p4.html The rest of the time I use test strips. I would caution you about using test strips. They aren't very accurate, and can't be relied on to diagnose problems.

If you are taking care of your own pool, there is no reason to waste your time on the test strips. It only takes a few minutes to properly test the water with a good kit, and that way you have numbers you can rely on.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.