Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: The deer are KILLING us

1. Back To Top    #1

The deer are KILLING us

Our landscape is all outside the screen enclosure and apparently includes a couple bits of deer candy. Every few months they come through and strip several sections of all leaves. It was worse in the winter and at this point everything has (mostly) recovered and pushed new growth. I just picked up a bottle of Ortho "Deer B Gon" and sprayed down the tasty plants. From the smell I've gotta think it is a clove oil of some kind?

It says to spray monthly... so at $10 bottle it's affordable. But if I could just boil up a handful of cloves it would be cheaper? I'll see if this works first... but in any case. What do you all use to repel deer?
    7500 gal gunite/stonescapes, iAqualink RS-8, Jandy 2HP VS-Flopro, Jandy 200 sqft Cartridge filter
    Pentair Intellichlor IC-40, Zodiac MX-8, Fafco solar panels
    DreamMaker X-500 Spa

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: The deer are KILLING us

Shotgun!

Seriously I'd never shoot one in the yard. We have about 15 that regularly visit. Anything that I don't want them eating is fenced in with 6' garden fencing.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

We did have a friend who took one with a crossbow a few years back. The rest didn't take the hint though.
    7500 gal gunite/stonescapes, iAqualink RS-8, Jandy 2HP VS-Flopro, Jandy 200 sqft Cartridge filter
    DreamMaker X-500 Spa

4. Back To Top    #4

TFP Guide

I have a friend in VA that uses deer repellent. He says it works if you apply it frequently (It stinks to high heaven).

In Texas we just name the deer "Dinner" and that takes care of that (not really. I couldn't kill a deer...they are too cute for me to kill)
    IG gunite/plaster pool/spa Started 1/17/14, Plastered 5/16/14
    Size: 12'-21'x39' free form, depth ranging from 4' to 7, attached 6 person spa with spillover.
    Equipment: Whisperflo 2hp pump, Pentair 30" sand filter, Pentair Mastertemp 400k BTU heater, 1hp Whisperflo for waterfalls, and a blower for spa floor

5. Back To Top    #5

Try planting marigolds around the area you want the deer to stay out of. They don't like the smell of them. 😎
    Jeff
    24'x54" AG Morada RTR (by wilbar) 13'500 gal. Hayward Powerflo Matrix 1hp 2 speed. Hayward Perflex EC65 DE filter.

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by davelinde View Post
    We did have a friend who took one with a crossbow a few years back. The rest didn't take the hint though.
    We had a problem with crows eating all the cherries off my mother-in-law's trees. After exhausting all the noisemaker options we shot one, but the others didn't take the hint either. Spray-painting the dead crow orange and hanging it upside down in the tree worked pretty well though -- maybe you could try something like that.

Having a bright orange deer hanging upside-down in the yard might look a little odd, but it would be really hard for the other deer to miss

Full disclosure -- we go deer hunting every year but there's no way I could shoot any of the deer that hang around my house. Sometimes they're standing in the driveway when I come home from work and don't move until I honk the horn.
    Cedar hot tub, 680 US gallons - Snorkel wood-burning heater, canoe paddle, "offline" Intex 1000 GPH pump/filter with skimmer

7. Back To Top    #7

If the deer are in season and I have tags for them, they are going in the freezer. You have to control the herd or they will become a nuisance. Yard or not, it's what's for dinner. If it's out of season, which they probably are at this point, then your best bet is finding something that is going to keep them away from their dinner.

Good luck and call your friend back when the season opens back up. You will never eradicate them.
    I'd bet you my bikini you'll never get TFP water from a pool store!

24' Sharkline Venture De Filter

8. Back To Top    #8

I just got the brilliant idea to read the ortho label and it has egg white, cinnamon and clove.
    I actually really like the way it smells. All the "deer candy" plants outside have been misted, now let's see...
    If this works out, I can likely get 3 applications per bottle so $10/bottle is fine (IF it works).
    DreamMaker X-500 Spa

9. Back To Top    #9

Quote Originally Posted by davelinde View Post
    I just got the brilliant idea to read the ortho label and it has egg white, cinnamon and clove.
    I actually really like the way it smells. All the "deer candy" plants outside have been misted, now let's see...
    If this works out, I can likely get 3 applications per bottle so $10/bottle is fine (IF it works).
    I would love to hear back from you to see if this works. We have a herd of over 30 here, I live on 26 acres. My in-laws do hunt it but it doesnt put a dent in the herd. I love watching them, just not in my gardens!

I will say one things we did last year that seemed to work well. We put little bars of soap around the garden. I guess the smell keeps them away. We basically take a large bar and shave it into strips and spread it around. Has to be replaced every few weeks or sooner if it rains much.
    DIY 18x36 IG Vinyl Rectangle with 2 foot radius; Steel Walls. 8' steps w/t 2 step jets; 2 MD, 1 Skimmer, 2 returns; Hayward Pro Series 24 Inch 300# Sand Pool ; Hayward color logic 4.0 LED light; 2" PVC pipe 4 Jandy Valves, Hayward PL-P-4, SWCG

10. Back To Top    #10

A Labrador will keep the deer out..as well as birds, squirrels and cats
    Dave My Pool Build, ODK Build
    22’X42’ Gunite Freeform 23K Gal, 10’X12’ Spa
    Diamond-Brite midnight blue, 1800sq. ft Kool Deck
    Pentair Easy-Touch 8, 2-2hp Pentair, 500lb Sand Filter, 400K btu Pentair heater