Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Micro bubbles....problem or not?

1. Back To Top    #1

Micro bubbles....problem or not?

Hey guys,

Im in the middle of SLAM'ing my pool and today I noticed that micro bubbles are coming out of the return jets. I cant say if I noticed this before or not since the water is becoming more and more clean (THANK YOU BBB!) but I didnt want to discount the micro bubbles being a potential issue.

My setup is a recently installed 1hp 2spd pentair superflow -> S220T sand filter -> Chlorinating dispenser (I have it set to off) -> return jets to the pool.

I also have a polaris booster pump that appears to have 1 return that is in the middle of one of the lengthwise walls. (I do see a little water and small bubbles coming out of this. ) should I cap it since I dont plan on using the polaris?

Water level is about a half inch below the midway mark of the skimmer box.

I put up a video on youtube so you can see it. Hope it helps:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cchZT6knZ1o

Thanks gang
    Brian, Pool newbie in Atlanta, GA. 24k IG vinyl pool, Circupool SI-45 SWG (purchased 3/2014) , Hayward Pro Series Sand filter S220T, Pentair 1hp 2-speed superflow (thanks Jbizzle!), TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Removed -> Hayward 1HP Super pump SP-1607-Z1-M

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Micro bubbles....problem or not?

Mine does it all the time, but it is due to the SWG, which I do not think you have installed yet.

I assume your pump has been running for awhile and these are not just a little air being purged out of the filter?
    Do you see any air in the pump?
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

Check the skimmer and make sure the weir is moving freely and there is not a vortex in the skimmer that could be sucking air into the system. Also check the new pump for air leaks. Look at the pump drain plug, pot strainer lid, and any above ground joints before the pump. The o-ring on the pot strainer lid needs to be lubed with silicon pool lubricant to get a good seal. Drizzle a little water on the pump drain plug and the pipe joints and watch for traces of water to be sucked into the joints. These are some of the common things to check when air is getting into the system.
    TFP Moderator
    Helpful links: TF Test Kits,TFP Pool School, PoolMath
    Vogue 21' round AG, Pentair 1 hp 2 speed pump, 36 sq ft DE filter, Hayward S180T 150# sand filter, Houston, Texas
    Love TFP? Become a
    TFP Supporter!

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by jblizzle View Post
    Mine does it all the time, but it is due to the SWG, which I do not think you have installed yet.

I assume your pump has been running for awhile and these are not just a little air being purged out of the filter?
    Do you see any air in the pump?
    Thanks for responding.

The pump has been running now for just under a week. If I shut the pump off, uncap the top where the basket is in the pump, let the water drain then recap and turn it back on, I have a little but not very much air. The issue seems to manifest itself more pronounced when I hook up my manual vacuum to the skimmer port. I have manually fed the hose into the pool to remove as much air in the line but I'm certain some air gets in anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by zea3 View Post
    Check the skimmer and make sure the weir is moving freely and there is not a vortex in the skimmer that could be sucking air into the system. Also check the new pump for air leaks. Look at the pump drain plug, pot strainer lid, and any above ground joints before the pump. The o-ring on the pot strainer lid needs to be lubed with silicon pool lubricant to get a good seal. Drizzle a little water on the pump drain plug and the pipe joints and watch for traces of water to be sucked into the joints. These are some of the common things to check when air is getting into the system.
    I'll check tomorrow on all these thing, the pot strainer lid...are you referring to the pump top lid that gives access to the basket?
    Brian, Pool newbie in Atlanta, GA. 24k IG vinyl pool, Circupool SI-45 SWG (purchased 3/2014) , Hayward Pro Series Sand filter S220T, Pentair 1hp 2-speed superflow (thanks Jbizzle!), TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir

5. Back To Top    #5

That is the o ring they mean. Your cleaner hose could be allowing a small amount of air to be drawn in.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by rarenomad View Post

I also have a polaris booster pump that appears to have 1 return that is in the middle of one of the lengthwise walls. (I do see a little water and small bubbles coming out of this. ) should I cap it since I dont plan on using

Thanks gang
    Why not? I love my Polaris cleaner! I also have a manual system that I hate! I broke the one that the seller left behind the first time I used it. I replaced it, but used it once and have never touched it again. Sure, I have to empty the bag once or twice/ week, but it is so much easier to maintain and use than the manual one. I have both a fine mesh sand bag I use during the summer and well after the autumn leaf problem, and the larger leaf bag once the leaves start falling.

Do you have an air release valve on top of your filter?
    Attachment 27953
    Pool size: 24000gal inground Vinyl-Taylor k-2006 and k-1766 test kits and-speed stir
    Intermatic P1353ME digital timer w/freeze sensor
    CircuPool Si-45 SWCG System
    Polaris 280 vacuum/Polaris PB4-60 boost pump
    Pentair IntelliFlo VS 3hp Pump--Pentair sand filter

7. Back To Top    #7

Air release? Negative. It has a multi port valve to change settings and whatnot.