Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Cloudy water

1. Back To Top    #1

Cloudy water

Hello - I switched to the TFP BBB method last year. It worked great for me mid season. I just opened my pool on Saturday (4 days ago). This is my first time using the BBB method at the time of opening. My pool is pretty clear, but a little cloudy. Pressure is good and I have backwashed several times as the pressure has increased. Here are my results:

FC: 16
    CC: 0
    TC: 16
    PH: 7.8
    TA: 160 (running my waterfall to aerate and lower)
    CYA: 50
    CH: 240

Any suggestions on why the water is cloudy and how to fix? Could it be that the TA is too high? Any other way to bring down TA besides aerating?
    Pool: 10K gal, IG PebbleTec, Pentair
    Spa: 500 gal, IG PebbleTec, Pentair
    Built 2010

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Cloudy water

You bring down TA with aeration and acid, that is the only way.

If the TA has anything to do with the cloudiness, lowering the PH to 7.2 will clear up the water.

Of course there are dozens of other things that can cause cloudy water, though none are especially common.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

It's probably dirty from the winter. For the last two years at opening I had clear water, but a lot of sediment that got in past the cover. Just give the filter a few days to do its job, and it will clear up.

Don't worry about the TA. As long you keep the pH where it should be, the TA will fall into line.
    33' round, 23,000 gal AG vinyl , 1HP 2spd PowerFlo Matrix downsized with 3/4HP impeller (X2), Hayward S180T 150# sand filter (X2), Hayward H250 NG heater Pool Store year 1 - $850 for 2 months; Pool Store year 2 - $440 for 2 months, TFPC year 1 - $170 for 4 months; TFPC year 2 - $95 for 4.5 months
    The most important article on this site - The ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry

4. Back To Top    #4

Thanks!
    Pool: 10K gal, IG PebbleTec, Pentair
    Spa: 500 gal, IG PebbleTec, Pentair
    Built 2010