Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Gas Heater and Pump Timing

1. Back To Top    #1

Gas Heater and Pump Timing

Hello, ok so I have a serious question..

I have a newly installed In Ground Vinyl liner pool. Its about 10800 Gallons.

I have a Hayward Gas heater, Hayward Sand Filter and Hayward Pump.

I have the pump on a timer and gas heater is always on, so when the pump fires up the heater will heat the water.

Problem is, when the pump shuts down, the water obviously stops flowing and the gas heaters coils are so hot that the water thats trapped in there makes loud noises. What is a good way around this?

Thanks,

Bruce

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Gas Heater and Pump Timing

Ideally you want the pump to continue running for awhile after you shut off the heater. Most automation systems allow this, but I am not sure how it would be done for you.

Wonder if you could add another timer that shuts the heater off before the pump? Although then there is always the chance the timers would get out of sync.

Likely someone else should have better ideas.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

Quote Originally Posted by jblizzle View Post
    Ideally you want the pump to continue running for awhile after you shut off the heater. Most automation systems allow this, but I am not sure how it would be done for you.

Wonder if you could add another timer that shuts the heater off before the pump? Although then there is always the chance the timers would get out of sync.

Likely someone else should have better ideas.
    I thought of that, another timer to shut down the heater 15-20 min before the pump shuts off to give the heater time to cool down. Also my pump, filter, and heater are all in the basement.

4. Back To Top    #4

In the Industry

You definitely need a timer on the heater. You absolutely need to cool the heat exchanger before stopping water flow.
    Over 30 years in the pool business
    We build vinyl, fiberglass, stainless steel pools
    Certified in Hydraulics

5. Back To Top    #5

There exist timers with what is called a "fireman switch" which is used to turn off the heater 5 or 10 minutes early.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

6. Back To Top    #6

If you have an Intermatic mechanical timer, they sell a kit that adds a micro-switch near the timing wheel. It's wired into the fireman's circuit that Jason mentioned and essentially shuts off your heater several minutes before your main pump shuts off.
    21K gal 16' x 40' in-ground pool built 1959, old school with Jacuzzi bronze pump, American Products 24" Sand Filter & Americana Multiport valve, Jandy Lite2 millivolt heater, Coverstar cover, and classic Kreepy Krauly.