Hot tub in sunroom - drainage

Molson

LifeTime Supporter
Apr 15, 2008
Midland, Ontario
Our new hot tub will be delivered in a few weeks. We are installing it in the sunroom which overlooks the pool and yard. A new platform will be built to support the weight of the tub. Since the floor in the room is level, there won't be much for positive drainage to an "outside" location. My initial thoughts were to build the floor/platform a foot or so oversize and put a row of tile around the outside of the tub. I could use marine floor drains/scuppers with 1" line to drain away from directly underneath the sunroom (which is approx 18" above a sand base). Or, again use tile, but before my transition to carpet, put a small drainage strip in the whole length around, this would just essentially drip onto the sand below, but would also introduce an entry point for bugs/rodents freezing cold air up under the towel regions.

Thoughts?

I assume you are talking about drainage for splash out as most tubs have drain hose connections to drain the water from the tub. In my limited experience as a fairly new hot tub owner splash out tends to either be dripping from people getting out of the tub, sloshing over the sides or the occasional jetting where someone leans back against a jet in a way to act much like someone putting their thumb over the end of a garden hose. As you can imagine each of these three issues can send water in varying amounts varying distances from the tub. My tub is installed indoors near my pool, the floor is concrete and so far I have just been using towels to mop up the splash out. Most of the time this is minor amounts from dripping, but sometimes it is much more.

Ike

I assume you are talking about drainage for splash out as most tubs have drain hose connections to drain the water from the tub. In my limited experience as a fairly new hot tub owner splash out tends to either be dripping from people getting out of the tub, sloshing over the sides or the occasional jetting where someone leans back against a jet in a way to act much like someone putting their thumb over the end of a garden hose. As you can imagine each of these three issues can send water in varying amounts varying distances from the tub. My tub is installed indoors near my pool, the floor is concrete and so far I have just been using towels to mop up the splash out. Most of the time this is minor amounts from dripping, but sometimes it is much more.

Ike

Ok, good to know, thanks Ike. I know from pool experience, I get a LOT of splash out at times. The floor in the room will be indoor/outdoor carpet, and it gets wet now from people coming in from the pool, etc. That makes me feel better.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.