Cant maintain chlorine at all

mandm

Jun 17, 2008
My wife and I have been trying to get the chemicals straight in our pool for the last 4 weeks to no avail. We have been going to the pool center and having the water tested only to be told that everything is fine but the chlorine. WE have shocked till we dropped the pool to no avail. We recently purchased the TF-100 test kit and obtained the following numbers:

FC: 1.5
CC: 2
TC: 3.5
PH: 7.25
T/A: 310
CH: 400
CYA: 20
Water Temperature: 82

We have a 24 foot above ground pool that holds approximately 13,500 gallons of water. We are interested in maintaining our pool with the BBB method.

Any help to get the water balanced properly would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance for your help with this matter.

Sincerely,

Mike

Hi Mike, welcome to TFP!

Your CH is at the high end, and for an AG pool, you really only need 150. I'm guessing you have been shocking with a Calcium-Hypo product?

Your best bet is shock with bleach. Your 2ppm CC means you have to bring your pool to shock level and hold it there, overnight, till you lose less than 1ppm in FC and your CC are less than .5.

Having the TF-100 is a great start. Your CYA is a little low which could be part of the reason for your inability to maintain chlorine. So I would add some CYA/stabilizer according to the pool calculator, and get some more bleach in there, up to your shock level, according to the CYA chlorine chart, keeping it in line as you add CYA you need a higher shock level, etc.

What color is the water?

Because of your low CYA level, you should do most of your shocking in the evening. Try raising FC up to 12 every hour for several hours in the evening each evening until FC doesn't fall more than 1 overnight and CC is 0.5 or lower.

Longer term you should raise CYA to 30-50 and lower TA.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.