Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Pump problem

1. Back To Top    #1

Pump problem

Hello All,
    At the end of last season, my main pump (Pentair Superflo 1 speed 2HP) started to make a "clack clack" noise. My pool service guy told me that the motor needed to be changed at a cost of $350. The pump is only 3 seasons old (he's the one who installed it) and, although it runs 24/7 from May to October, I was expecting more life out of it. I can find the exact same pump on Amazon for $340 shipped, so I may as well get a brand new unit and sell the old one for a few bucks.
    But do you guys think changing the whole motor or pump is overkill considering the pump still runs and does the job and a DIY rebuilt for much less is possible? I kn ow manufacturers and pool service companies tend to change instead of fixing ($$$). I see motor parts for this pump for sell, so could I just replace like the impeller or/and the diffuser and a few seals and be good to go for under $100. I know it might not be easy to diagnose the problem with just the "clack clack" sound, but I give it a try.
    Thanks for the inputs.

-Stephan
    28,000 gal Qwartzite Pool - Pentair Superflo 1 speed 2HP pump - Pentair Tagelus TA100D Filter

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Pump problem

Can you post a recording? I would try to investigate what's making the noise. If it's something loose, or if it's bearings going bad, replacing certainly seems like overkill.

Also, is there any reason why you're running it 24/7?
    33' round, 23,000 gal AG vinyl , 1HP 2spd PowerFlo Matrix downsized with 3/4HP impeller (X2), Hayward S180T 150# sand filter (X2), Hayward H250 NG heater Pool Store year 1 - $850 for 2 months; Pool Store year 2 - $440 for 2 months, TFPC year 1 - $170 for 4 months; TFPC year 2 - $95 for 4.5 months
    The most important article on this site - The ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry

3. Back To Top    #3

Quote Originally Posted by Smykowski View Post
    Can you post a recording? I would try to investigate what's making the noise. If it's something loose, or if it's bearings going bad, replacing certainly seems like overkill.

Also, is there any reason why you're running it 24/7?
    I have some additional work scheduled later this week, but should have the filtration system running Friday night, so I'll post a video with sound at that time.
    For the 24/7, this is what I was told. I used to run it 8-10 hours a day, but the water was never sparkly clear. The pool temp is between 85-90 degrees in the summer. Is 24 hours a day too much?
    28,000 gal Qwartzite Pool - Pentair Superflo 1 speed 2HP pump - Pentair Tagelus TA100D Filter

4. Back To Top    #4

Yes. Most people here run their pumps 8-10 hours. Less during the winter if they stay open all year. With a 2 speed or variable speed pump, it may run most of the day, but at a minimum RPM setting. I think I was right at 9 hours per day last summer.

Let's help you get your pump running first, and we'll tackle the sparkly water next.
    33' round, 23,000 gal AG vinyl , 1HP 2spd PowerFlo Matrix downsized with 3/4HP impeller (X2), Hayward S180T 150# sand filter (X2), Hayward H250 NG heater Pool Store year 1 - $850 for 2 months; Pool Store year 2 - $440 for 2 months, TFPC year 1 - $170 for 4 months; TFPC year 2 - $95 for 4.5 months
    The most important article on this site - The ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry

5. Back To Top    #5

Here is a video of the pump in action. http://youtu.be/FZ27Q1E4lm4
    The noise can get more persistent and metallic at times. Once I heard a big metallic "clack" when the pump stopped.
    Thanks for the advice.

-Stephan.

6. Back To Top    #6

I would suggest opening it up to see if the impeller turns easily. Also, I would suggest checking that the voltage is correct.

7. Back To Top    #7

Thanks!
    Any additional inputs?

8. Back To Top    #8

Sounds to me as motor bearings. Bearings can develop microscopic cracks from voltage leak or from moisture etc

Also could be something in the impeller but sure sounds like bearings.

No need to replace pump or strainer basket if isnt necessary, pool shops will try to convince you to replace the entire things.

Seperate the pump from the motor and tug on the motor shaft, if there is play the motor is most likely shot.