No chlorine in salt water pool

zhenya

Gold Supporter
Sep 15, 2013
Los Angeles, CA
After finally getting a hang of keeping my pool in check for about a month I ran into another problem. My chlorine is nearly at zero in my salt water pool. I have my swg running at a 100% (it was running at 30%) but it's still not coming up. Water looks clean. The only other test that's coming out of range is TA which is at 60. A pool store is telling me that fixing TA will solve my chlorine issue, but I can't understand why. My pH is 7.6 by the way.

Are they correct or do I have something else going on?

Thanks.

They are ABSOLUTELY wrong. Do not adjust the TA. You do have something else going on.

TA does not fix Chlorine. Something is wrong with your SWG unit, or you have something in your pool that is demanding more FC than your cell can generate. If you really want to know what is going on in the pool you really need a proper test kit to find out. If you have one, can you please post a full set of results?

TA around 60 is essentially ideal, changing it would have only a tiny effect, none of it good.

Often you need to SLAM the pool before the SWG is ready to take over again, though it is impossible to say without a full set of water test results.

Thank you all for your replies.
Yes, I use TF-100 kit for my testing. Here are the results from this morning
FH - 0
CC - 0
pH - 7.5
CH - 350
TA - 70
CYA - 70
Salt - 3200

My salt cell is about 4 months old. I do have an ORP controller installed. It shows that my ORP is very low. Depending on time of the day it will show 140 (right now) to 280 during the day.

Because of some work in my yard the pool is covered with tarp since yesterday morning, and even that didn't help chlorine levels to rise.

At a minimum, you need to SLAM the pool manually, and re-establish normal chlorine levels. Once you have done that, the SWG should be able to take over again. However, it is also possible that there is something wrong with the SWG, though diagnosing that is easier once the pool is back to normal.

It is normally impossible to get ORP based controllers to work correctly when CYA is that high. For that matter, I don't recommend using ORP based controllers with outdoor residential SWG pools. There tend to be a variety of problems, and standard percentage based control of the SWG is almost always more reliable.

Thank you all for your responses. I added chlorine and got it to a normal level. Didn't really SLAM the pool, but the FC is staying consistent for two days now. What I found is that my SW cell is stuck in "reversing" thus not producing chlorine. Got to figure out why, given it's only 4 months old.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.