Aquatherm Strap Hold down ripped off

Aug 22, 2010
Hi:

I install last season a set of 10 aquatherm soloar panels on my roof. I installed the hold down straps and and clamps as instructed but both bottoms ripped of this winter. Also, the hold down strap coating ripped off. I didnt think I lived in a high wind zone but I guess I do! I used the standard screw that came with the setup. I think they are about 3 inches long. Please advise how to repair and prevent this from happening again!

Thanks

Did your 3" screws go into the rafters or just through the sheathing? They should all be screwed into the rafter or blocking added between the rafters.

There was a crazy wind storm last week after midnight where I was hearing all sorts of noises from the roof above my bed and was worrying that my solar panels may be flying away since the are barely secured to the roof (no screws, just some roof tar on the clamps some of which previously ripped off the roof due to heat and the tar not holding). Went and looked the next day and everything was fine ... Apparently the claim by Heliocol that the individual tubes do not catch the wind are warranted. Although my install is far from what they suggest. It is on my to-do to get up there and re-secure the clamps and add a screw to each just to keep them from sliding down the tar due to the slope and heat.

I don’t think im screwed into the rafters just the plywood under the shingles but I would think that would be enough to hold wouldn’t it? Thanks! Also anyone ever have their strapping come apart? The coating came completely off the metal.

The sheathing (whether it is plywood or OSB) is only likely 1/2" thick ... so you may as well use a 3/4" screw. There is a reason they came with 3" screws ... they are supposed to be mounted to the rafters or the blocking. The sheathing is not enough.

I do not know about the mounting methods for these specific panels, so not sure what a hanger bracket is ... I would guess they should be mounted to the rafters, but I am not certain.

Hi:

I install last season a set of 10 aquatherm soloar panels on my roof. I installed the hold down straps and and clamps as instructed but both bottoms ripped of this winter. Also, the hold down strap coating ripped off. I didnt think I lived in a high wind zone but I guess I do! I used the standard screw that came with the setup. I think they are about 3 inches long. Please advise how to repair and prevent this from happening again!

Thanks

Hi Coolpool, I'm sorry to hear you're having some issues with our polypropylene-coated stainless-steel strapping. I'd love to help you solve the problem. Can you tell me what size collectors do you have? Also, how far up from the inlet (bottom) header and how far down from the outlet (top) header did you place the strapping? The bottom strap should be 16" up from the inlet header, and depending on the length of collector there is an appropriate distance from the outlet header for the other strap.

As our collectors are mounted on 51" centers, and rafters can span anywhere from 16-48" apart, it's not common to be able to mount into the rafters. That said, if you're getting some high winds that are causing the collectors to pull out the strapping, I'd recommend adding in some supplemental inlet header brackets. They operate using a spring-tension so that the collectors can still expand and contract. Our part number for that bracket is 12035-1 (for 1/5" headers) or 12035-2 (for 2"). Each bracket also comes with two additional strap brackets, since most applications that require the inlet header bracket would also require additional straps across the collectors. In your case I would start by adding just the header bracket. If you have 10 collectors, you'd require 11 of the inlet header brackets.

12035-1.jpg

You can order the parts through our Regional Distribution Center in Netcong, NJ - Sun Source Energy Products. Rich Bonte, owner of Sun Source, can be reached at 973-691-6911 or by email at rbonte (at) sunsourceproducts (dot) com.

Best Regards,

Dan Sizelove
Marketing Coordinator / Customer Service
Aquatherm Industries, Inc.

Hi Dan:

Thanks so much for posting. My panels are 4x12 with 2inch headers. I have the bottom strap 16" from bottom header and the top strap I beleive is at 60" from bottom header (I used the exact specs recommended by Aquatherm but I dont recall what they are). I didnt think I lived in a high wind area but I guess I do. I will try these wind straps as suggested and I think I can get the 4 ends into the rafters but I doubt I can get the middle brackets in. Any idea what to do with the strapping coming apart? The coating is actually falling off. Should I switch to the stainless strap?

Many thanks!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.