Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Deck for 30 ft diameter pool

1. Back To Top    #1

Exclamation Deck for 30 ft diameter pool

We purchased a 30' x 54" deep round above ground pool. Now I'm working on designing the deck before I go to the county office and apply for pool and deck permit. I have to give them all decks plans before I can start anything this includes footing locations.
    My question is how should I place footings next to the pool? I would like to run the headers parallel with pool sections and place the footings next to each upright. Is this is a good solution? If Yes how many uprights a 30' diameter pool have?
    Can anyone here help me with the plans?
    Thank You
    30'x54" Quest Above Ground Round Pool , About 21,000 Gallons , Hayward Perflex EC50 D.E. Filter System 1.5HP Power-Flo Pump , TF-100 Test Kit , Two Hayward Main Drains on the Bottom , Hayward CL200 In-Line Above-Ground Chlorinator.
    77"x77"x21.5" Hot Tub

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Deck for 30 ft diameter pool

Also do any of you recommend the Gorilla pad instead of sand?
    30'x54" Quest Above Ground Round Pool , About 21,000 Gallons , Hayward Perflex EC50 D.E. Filter System 1.5HP Power-Flo Pump , TF-100 Test Kit , Two Hayward Main Drains on the Bottom , Hayward CL200 In-Line Above-Ground Chlorinator.
    77"x77"x21.5" Hot Tub

3. Back To Top    #3

Quote Originally Posted by Pysiek View Post
    Also do any of you recommend the Gorilla pad instead of sand?
    You will need sand for the bottom regardless if you use the gorilla pad or not.
    As for the gorilla pad, you won't gain any comfort from it. It's use is for protection from roots, nut grass, rocks and such that could puncture the liner. 😎
    Jeff
    24'x54" AG Morada RTR (by wilbar) 13'500 gal. Hayward Powerflo Matrix 1hp 2 speed. Hayward Perflex EC65 DE filter.

4. Back To Top    #4

I had foam from Home Depot under my previous pool and this one has the Gorilla Pad. I definitely prefer foam and will use it in the future. Lots of conversation on the forum about using it. I do not have a deck so can't help you there. Good luck!
    Sharkline Reprieve 15x52 (3/14). Still using Intex 2650 Sand Filter with Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 3/4 HP pump (6/15). Solar Cover cut into strips for easy removal, (2) 2*10 Space Saver solar panels. Swim Jet HD Robot (by Aquabot) (3/15). Chlorine Liquidator (4 gal). 4 person hot tub. Hard pipe is the way to go for improved flow! Retired Lil Shark (3/15). Starite Max E Therm 333k BTU Propane Heater w/ 24 gal tank (7/15).

5. Back To Top    #5

When I have a second look at the gorilla pad it looks like it is very thin. So basically the ground will have to be perfectly flat. I think I will just use the sand.
    77"x77"x21.5" Hot Tub

6. Back To Top    #6

For the deck try Menards. You can purchase plans there so everything is already designed with quantities for everything you need. Or try their online deck design software for pools, it's pretty cool and in depth, it might help a lot.
    Intex Ultra Frame 26'x52"
    Intex 2,500 gal/hr pump with Unicel cartridge filter.

7. Back To Top    #7

I used home depot designer before. The thing is it adds a lot of things that I will not use. I will give it a try and see how it is. The problem is I don't know how many sections my pool gonna have. I would like to run the headers parallel to each section.
    77"x77"x21.5" Hot Tub

8. Back To Top    #8

I would go to the local govt website and see if they have the pool and deck codes online or just go to the building department and ask. The codes will specify the way you need to build like how big and deep for the footings, the spans you can do depending on lumber size, railing heights, stairs, etc.
    I found that the deck programs were not much help for a pool deck. The footing and frame design was more complex than what the programs were capable of. Maybe a higher cost software would work, but I just did my deck design on graph paper. Built headers and then framed on top and cantilevered over to the pool. This way, there were less footers needed overall.
    How big of a deck are you planning on?
    A few pic to show the framing on my pool deck.

Completed , but not stained yet.

30' Wilbar ABG Resin, 26" Pentair Sand Dollar sand filter, 1 hp- 2 speed Pentair Optiflo pump

9. Back To Top    #9

I do not want to do a big deck. 16'x12' that is all my wife need to put her chairs down and tan . I have to dig 42" below grade and the holes have to be 10" in diameter. That is a nice deck you have there. Right now I'm drawing everything in Inventor 3D. This is so far what I got:
    Pool Deck.jpg
    I use 2X8 all over and 24" OC
    77"x77"x21.5" Hot Tub

10. Back To Top    #10

TFP Guide

Here is a shot of the deck I built for mine.

Both sections are identical "pie" shaped pieces and just sit on top of the beams. I never got around to attaching them. The posts(6) are centered on the imaginary "spokes of the wheel" with the beams bolted to them.

We won't get into the numerous code violations I have

11. Back To Top    #11

This is a good idea. Little bit unsafe if you have kids around

- - - Updated - - -

I forgot to add before that the deck will be attached to existing deck by our house. So we won't bring grass or sand into the pool. We can just walk straight from inside the house into the pool
    77"x77"x21.5" Hot Tub

12. Back To Top    #12

If you can put your design down as 2D and mark how far apart your posts are, that should be good enough for the code people to get the permit. Mark the sizes of the lumber too.
    After you layout and dig the holes, the inspector will want to see them before you put the concrete in. The holes should be clean with no water in them.
    42" is pretty deep, we only had to go 12" here in NC.
    30' Wilbar ABG Resin, 26" Pentair Sand Dollar sand filter, 1 hp- 2 speed Pentair Optiflo pump

13. Back To Top    #13

I live in Frankfort IL and we have to go 42" in Will County. What size of lumber did you guys use? I design everything out of 2x8. Do you think this should be fine?
    77"x77"x21.5" Hot Tub

14. Back To Top    #14

I used 2x10 for the headers and 2x8 for the joists. Looking at your plan, I would think 2x8 would be OK, but you may need to double them up on the outer ones.
    See attached link for typical span specifications, but you should verify with your code people.

http://www.parkeronline.org/document...an%20Table.PDF

15. Back To Top    #15

Pool Deck-1.jpgThanks for the chart. I decided to go with 2X10 all around. Here is what I have so far. How would you recommend to do the framing next to the pool? Should I put more posts in there?
    Quality of the photo sucks but maybe you will be able to see something
    77"x77"x21.5" Hot Tub

16. Back To Top    #16

I'm not following that drawing. Are you doing headers with joists on top?
    If not, you would need to add more posts alongside the pool I would think.
    Also, doesn't look like you need 4 posts on the long end. With 2x10's , x 2, your support joists or header can span over 7'.
    You probably will also need lateral support, which is just Cris-crosses on the posts on 2 sides with 4x4 or 2x6.

17. Back To Top    #17

I exchange couple emails with my building department and this is what I have come with:
    Deck Plan.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

Also did anyone of you install main drain/center drain in your pool? Is it hard to do?
    77"x77"x21.5" Hot Tub

18. Back To Top    #18

That makes more sense and looks good. You can use 2x8 for the joists, even 2x6 if you wanted too.

19. Back To Top    #19

Did anyone of you bonded your AGP ? If Yes. Where I can find some good info on it?
    77"x77"x21.5" Hot Tub

20. Back To Top    #20

TFP Guide

Quote Originally Posted by Pysiek View Post
    Did anyone of you bonded your AGP ? If Yes. Where I can find some good info on it?

I have done several over the years, What do you need to know?

Generally, perimeter loop bonded in 4 places to the shell with connections to the pump, heater and the water bond device.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast