Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Pump died, newb in distress!

1. Back To Top    #1

Pump died, newb in distress!

Hey all,

So our pool pump motor just died and I decided to take the cash from the insurance instead of a straight-up replacement and upgrade to a VS pump. I'm not sure which size I should get. The old motor is 1hp seemed to do just fine. Pool volume is estimated 10k Gallons.

The first guy I see is Hayward Ecostar 2hp VS. The next one popping up on my list is Hayward Superpump VS 1.5hp. The second pump is significantly less expensive ($400 difference locally), smaller, and slightly less energy efficient (Hayward's web app tells me I'd save $612/year with the Ecostar and $576/year with the Superpump VS). So considering that I have a smaller pool with no spa or other features, am I going to see a difference in the 1.5 versus the 2.0 hp pumps? They are both VS and should provide more than enough power for my filter, right? Am I missing anything or does it make the most sense to go with the superpump over the ecostar?

Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks!
    10k Gallons. IG plaster. American Products model 56760000 150 sqft cartridge filter. Hayward Max-Flo VS.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Pump died, newb in distress!

According to actual test data (APSP & CEC), the MaxFlo VS is more efficient than the EcoStar. I have a cost comparison table in the Hydraulics 101 sticky below that you can look at. But I wouldn't worry too much about efficiency since all of them will save you money. The downside to both the Superpump and MaxFlo VS pumps is that they require an external timer/controller to turn the pump on and off. So if you don't have a controller or timer, you will probably need to get one.
    Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump/Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, MaxFlo SP2303VSP, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater

3. Back To Top    #3

That's no problem here. We are currently set up with a dial timer system. Thanks for the feedback!
    10k Gallons. IG plaster. American Products model 56760000 150 sqft cartridge filter. Hayward Max-Flo VS.

4. Back To Top    #4

Check also with your power company. Many offer rebates on certain energy saving pumps.

Pool Pump Rebates

5. Back To Top    #5

Thanks for the tip on the rebate! I just came back from the pool store and all they wanted to do was push the pentair intelliflo and charge $150 for installation. Yikes!