Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Too much Calcium in the water?

1. Back To Top    #1

Too much Calcium in the water?

After 5+ years we were just told by the pool store that we have too much calcium in the water. This is a pebbletech finish cement (gunite?) pool. They said to take about a third of the water out and put in fresh. The water is crystal clear, and about 80 degrees.

Since we are in Florida where it rains all summer, should we just wait until the rainny season hits?

This is the first I've heard of this and none of our neighbors have ever heard of too much calcium.

2. Back To Top    #2
    Pleasanton, CA

Re: Too much Calcium in the water?

And what does the pool store consider as "too high"?

Too much calcium can cause scale but it can also be managed with PH. Post your CH, TA & PH.
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump and Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, 1/2 HP 2sp pump, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater, ThePoolCleaner

3. Back To Top    #3
    TFP Guide
    Odessa, TX

Step one will be to get a proper test kit so you can see what your numbers really are. It's not uncommon for the pool stores to be terribly inaccurate. (correct me if I'm wrong)
    IG gunite/plaster pool/spa Started 1/17/14, Plastered 5/16/14
    Size: 12'-21'x39' free form, depth ranging from 4' to 7, attached 6 person spa with spillover.
    Equipment: Whisperflo 2hp pump, Pentair 30" sand filter, Pentair Mastertemp 400k BTU heater, 1hp Whisperflo for waterfalls, and a blower for spa floor

4. Back To Top    #4
    Silver Spring, MD

This is a problem that is quite common in a few areas of the country, where tap water is very high in calcium. However, I have never heard of it happening in Florida, where tap water is normally very low in calcium.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

5. Back To Top    #5
    Gurnee, IL (North Suburban Chi-town)

Like Jason said, we can probably help you because of your location, but in order to do so, we need a full set of test results, preferably your own and not the pool store. How are you chlorinating?
    33' round, 23,000 gal AG vinyl , 1HP 2spd PowerFlo Matrix downsized with 3/4HP impeller (X2), Hayward S180T 150# sand filter (X2), Hayward H250 NG heater Pool Store year 1 - $850 for 2 months; Pool Store year 2 - $440 for 2 months, TFPC year 1 - $170 for 4 months; TFPC year 2 - $95 for 4.5 months
    The most important article on this site - The ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry

6. Back To Top    #6

It is indeed a problem and a bad one for many of us. Did they give you a number? I don't know FL water, but I too would say a good test kit will tell you. If you had some CH to start and used Calcium Hypochlorite as a chlorine source long enough, you could have some CH in your pool. How much is the obvious question.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    TF-100 Test Kit, ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Flagstone, 36"SF, Pentair VS Pump, EasyTouch W/Remote, Rheem 400KBTU Htr