Which upgrades to start with?

Mar 5, 2014
Katy, TX
I am new to the forum and have spend hours and hours learning a ton!!! Than kyou all-what a great forum! I thought I might have to hire someone to take care of our pool, but after reading-I'm fairly confident I can do it on my own and save some $$$! So...We are getting bids from several pool builders here in Houston and, unfortunately, can't have it all :) If you had to choose between the following upgrades, which ones would be at the top of your list?

-Upgraded interior (plaster to quartz or pebble finish)
-More decking
-Upgraded decking from spray deck (I really don't like the look of the generic spray deck coatings) to stamped concrete or pavers
-Water feature-water fall or raised wall with a sheer decent or 2

This is my thought process, let me know what you think

1) More deck (can always upgrade it in the future but hard to add on later)
2) I'm torn between a water feature and the interior-the water feature would add enjoyment for inside the house and sitting outside…but the pebble finishes hold up longer…but I suppose I could plumb for a water feature and add later?
3)Upgraded decking-although I think it adds a lot to the overall look, I suppose I could go back and upgrade in the future?

Anyways, just wanted to bounce it off some people that had a pool and could share their choices with me!

Thanks!

Hey,

So I found this forum last fall and decided I could build my own as well. It's tedious and drawn out (mine mostly because of weather and lousy contractors), but you can save a LOT.

My price will come in similar to the lowest priced builder, and about 40% less than the highest priced. HOWEVER, I upgraded like crazy -

Quote was for -
700 sq ft freeform
Gas heater
Std lights
Std equipment
SWG
No automation
Sand filter
No hot tub
RBB with sheer descents

My build:
About 850-900 sq ft
Intelliflo pump
SWG
Quad DE filter
Aqualink RS8 Automation
Added large spillover hottub
Tanning ledge
Upgrading to aggregate finish
Color LED lights
Robotic cleaner

All of those upgrades would have nearly doubled the quotes from the builder. The hot tub alone was a $12000 add on. I was able to incorporate all of that and stay on budget, which hitting MAJOR rock and having terrible contractors.

My vote is for more deck and I think your thinking is right,. I have all total about 900ish sq ft of patio and deck, and I wish I had gotten more.
If you are planning for pool parties and neighbor and family cookouts, you will need all you can get.

I am new to the forum and have spend hours and hours learning a ton!!! Than kyou all-what a great forum! I thought I might have to hire someone to take care of our pool, but after reading-I'm fairly confident I can do it on my own and save some $$$! So...We are getting bids from several pool builders here in Houston and, unfortunately, can't have it all :) If you had to choose between the following upgrades, which ones would be at the top of your list?

-Upgraded interior (plaster to quartz or pebble finish)
-More decking
-Upgraded decking from spray deck (I really don't like the look of the generic spray deck coatings) to stamped concrete or pavers
-Water feature-water fall or raised wall with a sheer decent or 2

This is my thought process, let me know what you think

1) More deck (can always upgrade it in the future but hard to add on later)
2) I'm torn between a water feature and the interior-the water feature would add enjoyment for inside the house and sitting outside…but the pebble finishes hold up longer…but I suppose I could plumb for a water feature and add later?
3)Upgraded decking-although I think it adds a lot to the overall look, I suppose I could go back and upgrade in the future?

Anyways, just wanted to bounce it off some people that had a pool and could share their choices with me!

Thanks!

Hi, I am in a similar boat, trying to choose what to do now and what later when deciding among the 4 bids that I have received. But, isn't adding more deck something easier to do down the road?. I was thinking it was just a matter of hiring a handyman/sub to extend the cement/acrylic which I think it would be easier because is away from the pool. I would think that adding water features or upgrading the interior would be much harder to do when the pool is already full of water and in use. Let me know if I am "mistaken".
Thanks

I'll go against the grain here. We wanted minimal decking for appearance mostly. We don't plan on having a lot of people next to the pool at any given time so we wanted more yard/landscaping around the pool. You can always add more later, but I think it will be hard to hide the fact that you did. Not that it couldn't look fine, but I think it will be noticeable to at least some degree. All that said, I would say put in a nice finish, water features, or whatever else you might like on, or in the pool. Adding those things later will be a major ordeal. You wouldn't want to have a season under your belt and think "Gee I wish we had gone with a better finish and a grotto." I know I am in the minority here, but that's my take.

My opinion would be go for the water features - like you said you can always add more decking or upgrade it later. I love sitting out there and listening to the waterfall, bubblers even if it's still too cold to get in. I close my eyes and I'm at the beach!

Consider the upgraded finishes. Replastering is not a small expense. I realize my experience is due to how large my pool is, but that $10,000 one-time cost to refinish ours hurt the pocketbook!

Do I read correctly you took out the heater? We don't have a heater on our pool, and haven't regretted it. You are in an even warmer climate than we are, too.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
My opinion will probably differ from others. I have no use for a spa. Our pool does not have one attached, but the house came with a very nice stand alone unit. I gave it away, never even fired it up.

Would anyone do away with the spa to have all the other upgrades? (Pool finish, water features and upgraded deck?)

Nope. never.

Personally I love spas, I will be out in mine most evenings after work. There's nothing like a warm spa to help you relax away the day. (for me at least)

Hard to say - it's all personal preference. But here are some of the "upgrade" type things we wanted to have.
- Definitely have to have a spa for us. So easy to heat it up at a moment's notice to hang out in the spa when it gets colder, versus planning ahead to heat the pool.
- We did expand decking beyond the minimum so we could have a couple different areas for lounge chairs and greater flexibility, and went with stamped concrete.
- We did go with a mini pebble finish, versus just plaster.
- We added lighted bubblers to our tanning ledge. I've seen pics of pools at night and without the tanning ledge lighted, that area is really dark. Since we have a large ledge, we wanted some light there as well.

I would find it hard to choose between those items on your list. If I had to leave something off, I think I'd go with less deck, but still go with the upgraded deck. And design it in a way that there's a clean way to add onto it later when you have the money or inclination. Seems that would be easier than getting a bunch of deck you find out you don't like and then having to resurface or rip and replace. (But I am no expert here - so maybe resurfacing isn't a big deal).

I would say deck and outdoor space. We have an outdoor fireplace that is sheltered somewhat from wind and is covered, we spend many nights out there with a fire and friends over. That fireplace gets much more use than the inside one. An outdoor kitchen with fridge and storage is next but I have the deck space for it.

I like a spa too but have a free standing one, always hot, always ready.

I have regular plaster and like the smoothness. Plaster properly cared for can last a very long time.

I am jealous about the lighted bubblers. Mine are not and I agree, that area is dark when the pool is lit at night. The lighted bubblers would be awesome.

FYI, my pool is not plaster, but is very smooth. After the finish was trowled in and cured, they came back and polished it. Mine may be more smooth than regular plaster even.

I recently found the receipt for my plaster, it was done in 1997. It was totally shot, but I will admit the previous homeowners did not have CH at the proper level. Still something you have to think about though, be ready for when the plaster gets so bad you can't stand looking at it anymore. :drown:

We chose to stop the bleeding by going with plaster, no spa - not an interest of ours and no water features. The expense we already had with the required retaining walls due to our slope was sizeable and made other decisions easier. But all of that only after getting much decking (our priority). I anticipate keeping perfect water quality and having my plaster last quite a long time. I'll let you know in 20 years how good that decision was. Then I'll fork over money for a re-plaster as appropriate. Then college will be paid for.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.