Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Auto Fill ???

1. Back To Top    #1

Auto Fill ???

I am adding an auto fill to my plaster pool. What should I use to seal the pipe with coming from the basin into the pool?
    Tom & Yvonne
    Henderson Nevada
    17k in-ground

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Auto Fill ???

The auto fill unit comes with a 1" PVC flange for the line going to the pool, It also has adapters for 1 or 2" to be used. What is the best size to use? What are the advantages or disadvantages between the 3 different sizes? Also how much bigger should I drill the hole in the pool than the pipe so I have room to plaster around it?
    Tom & Yvonne
    Henderson Nevada
    17k in-ground

3. Back To Top    #3
    Silver Spring, MD

The opening to the pool doesn't need to be very large. In many cases it is more a question of matching the appearance with other plumbing fixtures in the pool and what size pipe you have available. If the run is longer than normal there is more value in using larger pipe sizes.

Normally the pipe is fairly tight in the main hole all the way through the shell. A larger hole is drilled perhaps one inch deep on the water size of the pipe hole to give a reasonable amount of space and surface area for the plaster to adhere, and then the smaller hole is drilled all the way through.

Getting a good plaster to plaster joint on a retrofit is sometimes tricky. The key is to have a fairly vertical and solid, yet slightly rough, edge on the old plaster to connect to.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

4. Back To Top    #4

Thanks Jason, The distance between the auto fill unit and the pool is no more than 16 to 18".
    Tom & Yvonne
    Henderson Nevada
    17k in-ground