Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Updated test results half way through pool re-fill.

1. Back To Top    #1

Updated test results half way through pool re-fill.

I say half way through pool re-fill because I am having to change the water out without taking the level down too much. I had a pool repair guy come out last October to get an estimate on fixing and patching up a nasty rebar stain (looks like someone smeared you know what on the wall). But when he looked at our pool his recommendation was to leave it because while the pool was in good condition for being 20-25 years old it has noticeable areas especially on the steps where the plaster has worn off. He said that draining the pool to fix the stain which is mostly a cosmetic issue, could speed up the degradation of the pool surface.

So basically I have been draining the pool about a foot at a time in the mornings and evenings when it is cool because it has been in the low 80s this weekend.

Anyways, here are the results:

TA= 125 down from 150
    CH= 425 down from 775
    ph= 7.2 same as before
    FC= 1.4ppm down from 6ppm
    TC= 1.4ppm
    CYA= still way over 100

Also, if anyone is interested, I purchased the Pacific Hyrdostar Submersible Pump model # 69300 from Harbor Freight. It seems to work like a champ. It is rated at 2910 GPH. Picked it up for $55.

Thanks in advance.

2. Back To Top    #2
    Silver Spring, MD

Re: Updated test results half way through pool re-fill.

You are doing well. Keep at it until the CYA gets down to something measurable and you will be good.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

I have cya trouble myself. 20,000 gal in ground, 1hp evenflo pump, Hayward de filter. Cya over 100 and I have already dropped the water level over one foot and refilled and I'm still over 100. The pool store told me to drop another 2 feet and refill. Yikes. We are in a drought here in CA and the water bill could be really high. Anyone used Mobile reversed osmosis to filter the water. I hear there are companies that come out and filter the whole pool. Any help would appreciated. Gary

4. Back To Top    #4
    Houston, Texas

I have not used it but others on this forum have and RO will drop the levels of just about everything in the water, but it can be expensive. There will still be some water loss, but much, much less than a partial drain and refill. See if you can get an estimate of the cost to treat your pool and compare that to the cost of a drain and refill along with any fees for excess water usage. That will help you decide whether or not to have the RO treatment done.
    TFP Moderator
    Helpful links: TF Test Kits,TFP Pool School, PoolMath
    Vogue 21' round AG, Pentair 1 hp 2 speed pump, 36 sq ft DE filter, Hayward S180T 150# sand filter, Houston, Texas
    Love TFP? Become a
    TFP Supporter!

5. Back To Top    #5
    Tucson, AZ

I think the ro treatment is the order of $4-500 ... usually cheaper to drain and refill.

CYA drop is proportional to the amount of water replaced. 1 foot might be around 25% at most, so that only dropped the CYA by ~25%
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!