Jandy/Laars LX service help

Jul 21, 2012
I was wondering if there were any experienced people on here nice enough to help me with a question in regard to my heater. I turned it on for the first time this year to get the hot tub fired up. About an hour into heating, I noticed the temperature stopped going up. I checked the display on the unit and it was displaying the service code "ext sw 1".

Google tells me I might be able to reset some manual switch, but I have no idea where to find it. Can anyone please point me in the right direction?

That usually means there is something blocking the flue, causing an internal overheating switch to trigger. Typically, you need to partially disassemble the flue to clear the blockage, put it back together, and then manually reset the overheat detection switch next to the flue.

That error code also includes the fuseable link. This is a one time use (like a fuse) that needs to be replaced after you figure out what may have caused it to open.

Possible causes are: What Jason noted and possible sooted heat exchanager, low gas pressure, down draft condition and or water flow problem. See areas outlined in pink to help remedy the ext sw 1 symptom.

Please keep in mind, cause of this symptom must be addressed or corrected before resetting switch or replacing fuse as these are how the heater replys to a problem.

IOW, the error "ext sw 1" is not your problem.

If your heater actually says LAARS on it, the following may not be helpful.

Flow charts courtesy of Zodiac Pool Systems, Inc.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.