Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I dont know which Hayward D.E. filter and pump to purchase for my above ground pool

1. Back To Top    #1

Question I dont know which Hayward D.E. filter and pump to purchase for my above ground pool

I am looking in getting a d.e. filter system for my above ground pool. I was looking at the hayward d.e. preflex filtering system. I have a 36 ft diameter x 4.5 feet deep round pool (which is the water capacity of 34,300. Which model would be best for my pool I was thinking of the Hayward EC50C93S Perflex 1-1/2-Horsepower Extended-Cycle D.E. Filter Pool System. Please advise

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: I dont know which Hayward D.E. filter and pump to purchase for my above ground p

I previously had the same filter on an agp and it worked fine, you should be able to get by with a 1 hp motor...same filter
    16x32 vinyl ig with foxguard steel walls,gli liner ,hayward de filter,hayward heatpro heat pump,hayward colorlogic 4.0 led.pentair circular weir skimmers.hayward sharkvac xl robot,gli mesh cover.polk atrium speakers,sonos music system.erie pa.

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: I dont know which Hayward D.E. filter and pump to purchase for my above ground p

i am just wondering what model to get for my size of pool.

4. Back To Top    #4

I would like to purchase this product very soon since it is still off season type prices. any help from the forum is gladly accepted..

5. Back To Top    #5

That is a little small for that size pool. Normally, I would recommend at least 50 sqft for a 34k pool. Otherwise, you will be cleaning the filter fairly frequently. Also, the pump is a little large for that size filter. Both Pentair and Hayward seem to have better pairings (pump & filter) with Cartridge and Sand combo units. Are you set on a DE filter?
    Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump/Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, MaxFlo SP2303VSP, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater

6. Back To Top    #6

I like my 60sqft DE filter on my 18k pool ... no way I would go smaller for a pool nearly double in size.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

7. Back To Top    #7

all.... I would prefer a D.E. system.. So, which model size would best suit my pool... i will probably go with 1.5 pump... but what filter model is best me... hayward then goes to the EC65 and EC75... the pumps on both are the super pump III ... that is why I thought the EC50 would fit my needs... Help.... please....

8. Back To Top    #8

You are usually better off buying the pump and filter separately instead of in a combo unit. The combos generally have pumps that are too big and filters that are too small.

The EC50 is only 25 sqft of filtration ... Mark said to go at least 50 sqft and I think you would better with 60+ sqft.

Even the EC75 is only 40 sqft.

There is no reason to not consider an in-ground DE filter as it will likely better suit your very large AG pool ... which is in fact larger than most in ground pools. Hayward sells a 48 sqft, 60 sqft and 72 sqft DE filter in the Pro Grid line which I think would suit you better.

Going with separate pump and filter would also allow you to look at the 2-speed 1HP pumps which are fine for your pool ... like the Haywar Power-flo.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter

9. Back To Top    #9

Quote Originally Posted by lauro63 View Post
    the pumps on both are the super pump III
    Where did you see that? I believe the pump that comes with the Hayward DE filters is the PowerFlo Matrix.

I agree with Jason, to get the right size filter and pump, you will probably need to purchase them separately.
    Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump/Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, MaxFlo SP2303VSP, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater

10. Back To Top    #10

All, Thanks. My other question is.. can I purchase an in ground pool filtering system ... and make it work for my above ground? I thought it had to be strictly and above ground? Do I need to convert anything because i am going in-ground to above ground. Please let me know. Thanks

11. Back To Top    #11

There is no real difference between in ground and above ground filters except for the sizes available.
    Pumps are a different story. Generally, you can use an IG pump on an AG pool, but not a AG pump on an IG pool.
    Jason, TFP Moderator

12. Back To Top    #12

based on filtration area... I thought my pool was 34,000. so, is it 34 sq. ft. I guess I am confused in the calculation... please advise

13. Back To Top    #13

We have advised we told you to look at 50 or 60 sqft at a minimum.

It is not a calculation. It is based on general maximum flow rates through the filter and experience.
    There is a table we look at in the Hydraulics 101 sticky that is close (although we generally double the cartridge and DE numbers to be conservative). Going by that formula, would say you need a DE filter that is 93 sqft, but that is much bigger than really needed.

Mark has another table he looks at that takes available sizes and flow rate requirements into account. (I should probably update my suggestions to match that).

You are free to use whatever size you want, but bigger is generally better. I would not go smaller than the 60sqft on my pool which is a much smaller pool than yours. Smaller filter + bigger pool will just require more frequent cleaning hassle.
    Jason, TFP Moderator

14. Back To Top    #14

I have an EC75 on my pool and like it a lot, only have to do a full cleaning on it 2 or 3 times per year depending on level of pool use, breaking it down and doing a full flush out acid bath once every 2 years, of course my pool is indoors so gets less debris, and have very low CH fill water.

Ike
    Indoor 20x40 35,000 gallon vinyl pool with 1.5 HP 2 speed Jandy FloPro pump, Hayward EC75 Perflex DE filter, 11 4x12 Techno-Solis solar panels w/ Aquasolar controller, Aquabot Turbo T Robot Cleaner. Also LMI metering chlorine dispenser pump and HotSpring Jetsetter
    I use and endorse TFtestKits TF-100 from http://tftestkits.net
    ~Remember TFP counts on your donations to keep this site ad free~

15. Back To Top    #15

So would the Hayward program model 4820, the one I should purchase?

- - - Updated - - -

I meant progrid model 4820.

16. Back To Top    #16

What size and type of filter did you have previously and how often did you clean it?

Sizing a filter, besides the pump, is also based upon your local conditions and how much debris (and type) gets into the pool.
    Mark

17. Back To Top    #17

Okay, If I purchase an In Ground filtering system (Hayward DE 4820) and I want to get a pump for my filter.. (which is the 1 hp 2speed) Do I get an In Ground Pump or and Above Ground Pump? Remember I have an Above Ground pool.

18. Back To Top    #18

You can get either but what about this:

What size and type of filter did you have previously and how often did you clean it?
    Mark

19. Back To Top    #19

If you are only going with the 48 pro grid, I wonder if the ec75 would be better due to the ability to bump and not backwash every time. Personally I think at least the 60sqft would be better, although you need to answer Mark's question to be sure.
    Jason, TFP Moderator

20. Back To Top    #20

instead of the hayward model 4820, I should go with the 6020? we currently have a cartridge filter, hayward swimpro voyager. we always clean it 4 times a year. the worst time is now. last spring and summer we had it turning green quite often.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast