Switch to a robotic from 280?

May 22, 2009
Columbia, SC
We have a 280 in the pool now and it seems like I break an axle every 6 months. It tends to get stuck at times as we'll. it's 6 years old now and I am considering replacing it with a dolphin deluxe 3 or a dolphin nautilus. I know the dolphins will clean better but are they worth the hustle to have to leaf rake the oak leaves in the fall first? Are the robots worth the money, considering they need replacing every 4-6 years? I don't think I put $100 into the Polaris every year to average the cost. Just looking for some additional thought. Thanks

"Is it worth it" is an impossible question. You may find the operation of a robot to be a piece of cake and wonder why you didn't do it long ago. You may also find the robot to be a PITA and wish you had never switched.

I can tell you this......The majority of new cleaners are robots. The manufacturers see the trend and I would say the new technology is 80-90% robots.

I am going to alter the article in Pool School to reflect that very fasy moving trend.

There is a lot of good reading here on the subject, and it seems like they last longer than 5-6 years. I think they are the future as well, and I'm putting one in my new pool over a pressure side. I'm doing to eliminate the booster pump cost, noise, and replacement/repair issues on both pieces. Some advice from the experienced and just reading here, tells me they are worth it if you spend a little on a good one.

I've always been a big fan of the 280. However when I do my build I'll be going robotic. Like the above posts a lot of times it comes down to personal preference however I can tell you that I've switched a lot of customers over from pressure side cleaners to robotic units over the years with overall great feedback.

That's good to know Josh. Being in the biz, do you see this trending more to robots overall?

It varies regionally. Although cleaner sales always have. For example Florida has always been a suction side market. The North East been strong with robotics for a long time now. Robotic sales are climbing quickly and are one of the hot items in the industry right now. For the most part they work well and they're energy efficient. It seems like pool builders still like using pressure/suction-side cleaners because they are often slow to move on to new products.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.