Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: 3 phase power....

1. Back To Top    #1

3 phase power....

I have finally decided on my pool design, builder, options, e.t.c. Signed the contract on Thursday, The pool outline was marked on the lawn Fri. Today they leveled of the area with a bobcat and Monday we Dig!! Yeah !!!

Here is something I never brought up to the Company and now that I realize it, it's Saturday night and the diggin crew is arriving at 6am Monday.

I have 3 phase power to my house.

Is this going to be a problem ? Or, hopefully, is this not that big of an issue.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: 3 phase power....

Many services are 3-phase. The main panel then splits it into the needed voltages. For example, a 3-phase 220 service gives you several options: Three-phase power for special needs, straight 220v by using two of the phases, and 110 by using one phase. The connections can all be done in the breaker panel depending on what the needs are.
    20,000 plaster in ground (finally blue!), Hayward C-1100 Cartridge Filter and Baracuda G4 Automatic Cleaner

3. Back To Top    #3

You should be ok. My dad is a master electrician. I can send you his email if you have other questions.
    2003 Coleman MAAX Collection Model 706 - 400gal

4. Back To Top    #4

Here is his reply:

The equipment may be much higher priced, but would use about 86 percent of the power that single phase would. The savings would eventually pay the equip cost diff. The question is how fast. There would prob be a minor increase in cost to wire three phase as well. I'd guess single phase would be the way two go.
    2003 Coleman MAAX Collection Model 706 - 400gal

5. Back To Top    #5
    Silver Spring, MD

The simple answer is that there isn't any problem at all. Having 3 phase power gives you more options. The standard stuff can be used without problems or you could get a 3 phase pump if you want.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School