Test results

Hello to all, I'am new here and thank you in advanced for any advice.
I'am filling my pool up as I type.
My pool is 15' x 30' free form 3' shallow end, 6.5 deep end about 12,000 gallions.
I have already filled spa up and while filling pool side I did a test in spa and
everything was almost perfect except for total chlorine and free chlorine were low as I expected.
I know that I need to put cyanuric acid/conditioner in but don't know how much as I don't want to over treat.
What is the best or right method for entering it?
Any help would be appreciated.

Welcome to TFP !
You can add stabilizer via a sock or nylon panty hose hung in front of a return with the pump running until it is all dissolved. You could also put it a sock and place the sock or nylon in the skimmer basket. I prefer to hang it in front of a return. Give it a squeeze once in awhile to help it dissolve faster. Don't bother testing for it as it won't fully register on a test for close to a week. Use pool math to determine you dosage. http://www.troublefreepool.com/calc.html

We recommend a CYA level of 30-50 ppm for a non SWG and 70-80 for a SWG pool. Which do you have ?
Are you using one of our recommended test kits ? http://www.troublefreepool.com/content/124-pool-test-kits-comparison.
Also take a look at this. http://www.troublefreepool.com/content/128-chlorine-cya-chart-slam-shock.
If you can add all your pool and equipment info to your sig it will help us help you better. ?

Yes you can put the sock in the skimmer basket. I'm not familiar with those test kits or their accuracy. I know the ones I suggested to you are the ones we trust for accuracy. The TF 100 is the kit I use and a lot of other people on the forum use. It's a small investment for a top of the line kit. Think about getting yourself one. ?

Yes you can put the sock in the skimmer basket. I'm not familiar with those test kits or their accuracy. I know the ones I suggested to you are the ones we trust for accuracy. The TF 100 is the kit I use and a lot of other people on the forum use. It's a small investment for a top of the line kit. Think about getting yourself one. ��

Is this the kit your talking about Jeff?
What about using hamilton index?
51WYvoTHAbL.jpg

No but that is a recommended kit and a good one. The TF-100 is only available at TFTestkits.net.
I don't know what the Hamilton index is. ?

The Hamilton index was recommended by the company that re-plastered my pool 4 years ago.
If you get a chance check it out on the web.
Might be a California thing IDK.
Thanks again for all your help.
Looking forward to this forum.

Hello to all, I'am new here and thank you in advanced for any advice.
I'am filling my pool up as I type.
My pool is 15' x 30' free form 3' shallow end, 6.5 deep end about 12,000 gallions.
I have already filled spa up and while filling pool side I did a test in spa and
everything was almost perfect except for total chlorine and free chlorine were low as I expected.
I know that I need to put cyanuric acid/conditioner in but don't know how much as I don't want to over treat.
What is the best or right method for entering it?
Any help would be appreciated.
I wouldn't put the CYA in the skimmer unless you want to run the pump 24/7 for days and days. It's acidic, and if it's not constantly circulating and getting diluted, it could do nasty things to the skimmer basket or the plaster inside.

Figure low on target or volume when you measure out the CYA granules. Builders tend to exaggerate the size of the pool, and there's also the problem of allowing for the water the steps displace, and the radius along the bottom. You can always add more CYA if it's too low, but the only way to lower it is by draining. Figure maybe 80% of what you want. Pour it in an old sock or nylon, tie it off, and hang it in front of a return so the water pummels it and dissolves it faster. Or if that's too much effort, tie it to a floating pool toy or an empty bleach jug and let it dangle in the water and bob around. It'll take a few days to a week to dissolve. Just assume it's in there when calculating the bleach dose.

A primo test kit will pay for itself within a month. Just go loiter around the pool store for half an hour on a Saturday and watch the helpful clerks wheel out hand trucks loaded with hundreds of dollars' worth of unnecessary stuff! :D

The TF100 has all the same chemicals as the K-2006, but in more realistic quantities. The K-2006 might look prettier, with all those same-size bottles, but you don't use the same amount of each chemical, generally. Check out http://www.troublefreepool.com/content/124-pool-test-kits-comparison

I also heartily recommend investing in the XL option, because the FAS-DPD powder is hard to find locally, and you don;t want to run out. The other reagents are generally no problem. Also, nobody who owns a speedstir regrets buying one. Nobody. Speeds up the tests and makes them much more accurate, too.

From my readings (never had real life use with the "Hamilton index") it's mostly based to keep the walls free of scale. If you use the Recommended Levels chart in Pool School you'll achieve the same results.

A high quality Test Kit is the first step in your pool. The one you have shown in your photo is a very high quality kit that can be found at times locally. Here is a list of Test Kits that we highly suggest on the forum.

Welcome to the site!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.