Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Test results

1. Back To Top    #1

Test results

Hello to all, I'am new here and thank you in advanced for any advice.
    I'am filling my pool up as I type.
    My pool is 15' x 30' free form 3' shallow end, 6.5 deep end about 12,000 gallions.
    I have already filled spa up and while filling pool side I did a test in spa and
    everything was almost perfect except for total chlorine and free chlorine were low as I expected.
    I know that I need to put cyanuric acid/conditioner in but don't know how much as I don't want to over treat.
    What is the best or right method for entering it?
    Any help would be appreciated.

2. Back To Top    #2

Test results

Welcome to TFP !
    You can add stabilizer via a sock or nylon panty hose hung in front of a return with the pump running until it is all dissolved. You could also put it a sock and place the sock or nylon in the skimmer basket. I prefer to hang it in front of a return. Give it a squeeze once in awhile to help it dissolve faster. Don't bother testing for it as it won't fully register on a test for close to a week. Use pool math to determine you dosage. http://www.troublefreepool.com/calc.html

We recommend a CYA level of 30-50 ppm for a non SWG and 70-80 for a SWG pool. Which do you have ?
    Are you using one of our recommended test kits ? http://www.troublefreepool.com/conte...its-comparison.
    Also take a look at this. http://www.troublefreepool.com/conte...art-slam-shock.
    If you can add all your pool and equipment info to your sig it will help us help you better. 😎
    Jeff
    24'x54" AG Morada RTR (by wilbar) 13'500 gal. Hayward Powerflo Matrix 1hp 2 speed. Hayward Perflex EC65 DE filter.

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: Test results

Thank you, will add info to sig.
    Not a SWG pool.
    I have a kem-tek liquid drop kit and a HACH Aquacheck 7.
    Also can I put sock in skimmer?
    Forgot to add grey bottom.
    Thanks
    Kevin
    12k 15' x 30' Gunite pool and spa, Free-form, Grey bottom, Pentair Intelliflo variable speed pump, American Products/Titan vertical grid filter (DE)

4. Back To Top    #4

Test results

Yes you can put the sock in the skimmer basket. I'm not familiar with those test kits or their accuracy. I know the ones I suggested to you are the ones we trust for accuracy. The TF 100 is the kit I use and a lot of other people on the forum use. It's a small investment for a top of the line kit. Think about getting yourself one. 😎
    Jeff
    24'x54" AG Morada RTR (by wilbar) 13'500 gal. Hayward Powerflo Matrix 1hp 2 speed. Hayward Perflex EC65 DE filter.

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by pwrstrk View Post
    Yes you can put the sock in the skimmer basket. I'm not familiar with those test kits or their accuracy. I know the ones I suggested to you are the ones we trust for accuracy. The TF 100 is the kit I use and a lot of other people on the forum use. It's a small investment for a top of the line kit. Think about getting yourself one. ��
    Is this the kit your talking about Jeff?
    What about using hamilton index?
    51WYvoTHAbL.jpg
    Kevin
    12k 15' x 30' Gunite pool and spa, Free-form, Grey bottom, Pentair Intelliflo variable speed pump, American Products/Titan vertical grid filter (DE)

6. Back To Top    #6

Test results

No but that is a recommended kit and a good one. The TF-100 is only available at TFTestkits.net.
    I don't know what the Hamilton index is. 😎
    Jeff

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by pwrstrk View Post
    No but that is a recommended kit and a good one. The TF-100 is only available at TFTestkits.net.
    I don't know what the Hamilton index is. 😎
    The Hamilton index was recommended by the company that re-plastered my pool 4 years ago.
    If you get a chance check it out on the web.
    Might be a California thing IDK.
    Thanks again for all your help.
    Looking forward to this forum.
    Kevin

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by kevin s. View Post
    Hello to all, I'am new here and thank you in advanced for any advice.
    I'am filling my pool up as I type.
    My pool is 15' x 30' free form 3' shallow end, 6.5 deep end about 12,000 gallions.
    I have already filled spa up and while filling pool side I did a test in spa and
    everything was almost perfect except for total chlorine and free chlorine were low as I expected.
    I know that I need to put cyanuric acid/conditioner in but don't know how much as I don't want to over treat.
    What is the best or right method for entering it?
    Any help would be appreciated.
    I wouldn't put the CYA in the skimmer unless you want to run the pump 24/7 for days and days. It's acidic, and if it's not constantly circulating and getting diluted, it could do nasty things to the skimmer basket or the plaster inside.

Figure low on target or volume when you measure out the CYA granules. Builders tend to exaggerate the size of the pool, and there's also the problem of allowing for the water the steps displace, and the radius along the bottom. You can always add more CYA if it's too low, but the only way to lower it is by draining. Figure maybe 80% of what you want. Pour it in an old sock or nylon, tie it off, and hang it in front of a return so the water pummels it and dissolves it faster. Or if that's too much effort, tie it to a floating pool toy or an empty bleach jug and let it dangle in the water and bob around. It'll take a few days to a week to dissolve. Just assume it's in there when calculating the bleach dose.

A primo test kit will pay for itself within a month. Just go loiter around the pool store for half an hour on a Saturday and watch the helpful clerks wheel out hand trucks loaded with hundreds of dollars' worth of unnecessary stuff!

The TF100 has all the same chemicals as the K-2006, but in more realistic quantities. The K-2006 might look prettier, with all those same-size bottles, but you don't use the same amount of each chemical, generally. Check out http://www.troublefreepool.com/conte...its-comparison

I also heartily recommend investing in the XL option, because the FAS-DPD powder is hard to find locally, and you don;t want to run out. The other reagents are generally no problem. Also, nobody who owns a speedstir regrets buying one. Nobody. Speeds up the tests and makes them much more accurate, too.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

9. Back To Top    #9

From my readings (never had real life use with the "Hamilton index") it's mostly based to keep the walls free of scale. If you use the Recommended Levels chart in Pool School you'll achieve the same results.

A high quality Test Kit is the first step in your pool. The one you have shown in your photo is a very high quality kit that can be found at times locally. Here is a list of Test Kits that we highly suggest on the forum.

Welcome to the site!

10. Back To Top    #10

Richard or Leebo, If I hang a sock in front of a return don't I still have to run the pool for days?
    My pool is almost full, about 30 mins. from now.
    I definitely don't want to ruin plaster.
    Also I have a grey bottom.
    Kevin

11. Back To Top    #11

Quote Originally Posted by kevin s. View Post
    Richard or Leebo, If I hang a sock in front of a return don't I still have to run the pool for days?
    My pool is almost full, about 30 mins. from now.
    I definitely don't want to ruin plaster.
    Also I have a grey bottom.
    If it worries you, tie it to a float ring or a pool noodle so it can't get near a wall.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

12. Back To Top    #12

And if you squeeze the sock a lot, it'll be dissolved in two or three days.
    33' round, 23,000 gal AG vinyl , 1HP 2spd PowerFlo Matrix downsized with 3/4HP impeller (X2), Hayward S180T 150# sand filter (X2), Hayward H250 NG heater Pool Store year 1 - $850 for 2 months; Pool Store year 2 - $440 for 2 months, TFPC year 1 - $170 for 4 months; TFPC year 2 - $95 for 4.5 months
    The most important article on this site - The ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry

13. Back To Top    #13

Okay suspended a sock from deep end return on a pole no problems.
    I used less than recommended as it will be easier to add rather than too much and have drain again.
    I will post back in about 5 days findings.
    Thanks for the help gentleman.
    Kevin

14. Back To Top    #14

Welcome to the forum Kevin!

Sounds like you have it going your way and you are correct. Much easier to put it in than take it out.

Hop you enjoy the forum.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Pentair 36"SF & VS Pump, Dolphin M5, Rheem

15. Back To Top    #15

Update:
    The pool looks great and chemical balance are all in line.
    Thanks to all for the help.
    Looking forward to upcoming summer.
    Kevin