Finally got Full test results.

edge

Mar 10, 2014
Douglas, GA
Ok guys, I ordered the Taylor K2006 test kit and just did my first full tests. I'm a bit confused on the FC vs CC but maybe it's right idk. The pool is a Vinyl lined 16 x 32. Sand filter. I use Trichloro Tablets for chlorination.

FC: 7.4 ppm
CC: .4 ppm???
PH: 7.0
TA: 80 ppm
CH: 140 ppm
CYA: 100+ Water level was FAR from 100 on the black dot test

The CC reads .4 ppm but the FC is 7.4. I knew it was high as I'm coming down from SLAMing the pool a few weeks ago.
Obviously the CYA is VERY HIGH and needs to be brought down.
The PH is getting back Low as well and I need to add Base to bring it up.

Is there any instructions or advise you can give me based on my results? If a test result sounds off, i will test again. Thanks in advances.

Ok guys, I ordered the Taylor K2006 test kit and just did my first full tests. I'm a bit confused on the FC vs CC but maybe it's right idk. The pool is a Vinyl lined 16 x 32. Sand filter. I use Trichloro Tablets for chlorination.

FC: 7.4 ppm
CC: .4 ppm???
PH: 7.0
TA: 80 ppm
CH: 140 ppm
CYA: 100+ Water level was FAR from 100 on the black dot test

The CC reads .4 ppm but the FC is 7.4. I knew it was high as I'm coming down from SLAMing the pool a few weeks ago.
Obviously the CYA is VERY HIGH and needs to be brought down.
The PH is getting back Low as well and I need to add Base to bring it up.

Is there any instructions or advise you can give me based on my results? If a test result sounds off, i will test again. Thanks in advances.
.4 CC is fine. What isn't fine is the CYA off the scale. It's too high, way too high, and you're making it worse by chlorinating with trichlor pucks. Those pucks are also responsible for your low pH most likely.

Advice: Study Pool School some more, find the directions for measuring super high CYA and get a number and then calculate how much water you need to replace to lower it. After the partial drain and refill (Leave at least a foot of water in the shallow end so your liner doesn't wrinkle) retest what you have and adjust things accordingly. And stop using trichlor. If you have leftover pucks, don't worry, they'll keep for years as long as the lid is on tight. Save them for vacation or when you need to raise CYA due to splashout or backwashing.

What did you use to SLAM your pool with ? How did you determine your SLAM level ? If your CYA level were 100 right now your FC of 7.4 would be at the very min for preventing algae at that CYA level. Your CYA level is even higher than 100 so right now your FC is too low. This is what happens when you use pucks for long term chlorination. Sky high CYA level and not being able to keep your FC level in range for the CYA level. ?

Well this is unfortunate. I'm concerned about removing water to that extent with the vinyl liner. It was new summer of last year but I don't want to damage it in the process.

I do have a simple question. I know this won't be popular but what IF I was ignorant and did not test at all. I do not want to cause a ruckis. Understand that I am taking your advice and it's greatly appreciated.

HYPOTHETICAL: Lets say I simply add tablets when they need to be added and shock when needed. The pool was filled last summer completely with fresh water and last summer was SOOO easy. I never tested a thing. but then again, it may not have been "in shape" as I thought. Just added tablets to keep FC up. It was a little high, burned the eyes slightly but it was enjoyable. I have talked to several people who don't manage their pools extensively and all "Seems" well. How harmful is it to run a pool like that?

The choice is going to be yours. The option you suggested is not the one we will suggest to you. Your option goes against everything we try to teach here.
In the end it is your pool and you can maintain it how you wish. Our way is easier and better if you give it a chance and are willing to learn our methods. ?

I know. I just had to ask. It an expensive toy and I am not going to let it go to waste. Too much invested already. Secondly I don't want to to harm the swimmers because I'm ignoring what's going on in the water. I am currently pumping water out and going to replace a large amount and retest. Thanks for the help. Looks Like I wasted a ton of money up front by buying 50lbs of Trichlor Tabs. Yay me. At least I bought them online for much cheaper than the pool stores.

- - - Updated - - -

I used 4 lbs of shock then added 15 lbs a week later per the pool store. Also had tri chlor tablets in the skimmer and chlorinator the entire time. I did not test the level as I did not have a kit but it cleared the pool up pretty quick. I flew blind for a month straight before deciding I was wasting tons of money on this bottle and that bottle of this...etc etc.

Don't pump it all out at once. Do it in thirds or so.
I didn't mean to sound offensive to you and if I was I apologize. Take the time to understand our methods and you will have a trouble free pool.
Ask any questions you have for there are no stupid ones. Lots of people here to help you out. ?

No big deal I expected that answer as this is a site based on a specific method of TAKING CARE OF YOUR POOL, not ignoring it. I am pumping out and will refill after or during the rain tm. Like to get all the FREE water I can. lol Ill repost test results if I get the CYA to a measurable amount. Out of time to do it today as Im going on a dinner date with the wife and right now she is def done hearing about the pool. Especially since IO explained i basicallly have to drain it after all this work and money spent. gguuhhh

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
The pool was filled last summer completely with fresh water and last summer was SOOO easy. I never tested a thing. but then again, it may not have been "in shape" as I thought. Just added tablets to keep FC up. It was a little high, burned the eyes slightly but it was enjoyable. I have talked to several people who don't manage their pools extensively and all "Seems" well. How harmful is it to run a pool like that?

(disclaimer -- following is based on reading info here & limited experience with a hot tub, but I'm pretty good at reading ;))

If you started each year with the same conditions as last year (completely fresh water) you could probably keep using trichlor forever, although you might start to run into problems late in the season. The problem is that as CYA builds up you eventually run into problems because you need an ever-increasing FC level as well, and eventually your pool turns feral. Might take a couple of years though...

It's not so much that "you have to follow *this* method", it's that you'll eventually need to do *something* to avoid the inevitable problems and this method appears to be the least-effort-for-greatest-return approach. The trade-off is really "partial drain now to turn the clock back a bit, switch to non-stabilized chlorine, probably run happily forever" vs "keep doing what you're doing, eventually run into trouble, and end up having to drain anyways".

BTW I love your pool/deck layout -- must be great to open the back door and see that big wide path out to the pool.

I'm replacing some water and see where that leads. And I'll switch to liquid bleach. I honestly thought that the tablets were just how you run every pool. I knew no different. That's why I've been somewhat reluctant but at the same time I do trust The BBB method and your word.

Oh yeah. It's a nice view. thank you. We deff enjoy it. Or I do, my wife really isn't a pool enthusiast! She wanted the house, I wanted the pool, we both got what we wanted lol

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

- - - Updated - - -

Heres my current view from the living room. I put the grill on the deck when the weather is nice. Makes a great place for a pool party,birthday party etc. We got lucky

- - - Updated - - -

and yes my dog has a rubber chicken that squeaks

I honestly thought that the tablets were just how you run every pool. I knew no different.

So did I, no question about it... but I also thought that running a pool was something I probably wanted to avoid because of the periodic problems that everyone seemed to have. A lot of my friends vowed that they would never have a pool again as long as they lived.

As soon as I read about the CYA/FC relationship (and, to a lesser extent, the TA/pH relationship) the whole "pool thing" started to seem a lot less random...

If I had that view out the back I would be running out like a fool, despite being old enough to know better.

Too bad about the chicken. Nice looking dog, but I think I saw a hint of that "if you don't play with me I'm going to squeak this until your head explodes" expression in the second picture ;)

Yeah everyone I talk to loves/wants a pool but complains about upkeep and the costs and vows to not have one of their own. I'd love to get a hold of this and prove to them that it's not that bad. I get the CYA/FC relationship and I see it's more important in the grand scheme. I still have some learning to do.

The people that never want a pool again are the people who never really understood their pool in the first place. Ask anyone who's been on this forum and uses the TFPC method and you'll hear how insanely easy is it to maintain your pool once you understand it.
Yes, that's true. There's a steep learning curve for about two weeks - maybe a month in the off season. But you test, you dose, you see the effects, it clicks. Within a month or two, you know what the pool will need before you even test it. You know your CYA level, you know how fast CH rises, you know the appetite for acid and bleach. You know how little you can run your filter and maintain crystal clear water. It's about as much trouble every day as setting up the coffeemaker. And maybe once or twice a week you vacuum for fifteen or twenty minutes. You only go to the pool store if they have a good price on the chemicals. No see-saw with the chemical readings, no snake oil, no battered credit card. Just super clear water that doesn't burn the eyes, dry the skin, rot swimsuits, or smell. Thats the TFP way.

i love understanding the theory behind why we do things not just because that's what everybody else does and TFP certainly meets that
try to measure your CYA using the dilution test

For CYA anticipated <90ppm:
1) Put sample in mixing bottle (up to the mark, ~ halfway).
2) Add an equal amount of R-0013.
3) Shake about 30 sec; let stand 2-3 minutes; briefly shake again.
4) Look down into C.A VIEW TUBE, slowly pour mixture in until the black dot just disappears. Natural indirect light gives the best readings.
5) Gradation closest to the fill level is CYA.

For CYA > 90ppm, repeat the test adjusting the procedure as follows:
a) Fill the mixing bottle to the lower mark with pool water.
b) Continue filling the mixing bottle to the upper mark with tap water.
c) Shake briefly to mix.
d) Pour off half of the contents of the mixing bottle, so it is again filled to the lower mark.
e) Continue the test normally from step 3, but multiply the final result by two.

then go to pool math and enter your pool size, CYA level and it will calculate how much water to change
http://www.troublefreepool.com/calc.html

also when you know your CYA level then see this chart to find chlorine levels you will need to maintain at different CYA levels
http://www.troublefreepool.com/content/128-chlorine-cya-chart-slam-shock

as your CYA rises due to pucks you will need more and more chlorine until it is impractical
your shock/slamming level will need to be higher and higher as your CYA level increases
if it were me i would drain 1/3 water refill, then drain 1/3 and refil etc as required
and then only use liquid chlorine/bleach to maintain levels

You can and should only replace small amounts of water at a time (in 3rds maximum) in a vinyl pool. Sometimes in Gunite pools too depending on the water table level.

Hang in there, replace as you can, and get the Cya to a manageable level. This will minimize the amount of FC you need to maintain, and help you if you need to perform a SLAM on your pool. If you get an Algae bloom with high CYA, it can be a monster to overcome, and it will take a large amount of chlorine to do it. You'll be alright, just keep after it. High CYA and related problems are just about the number one problem we see over and over. You are far from the first.

That may explain why it took 15 lbs and tablets out the wazoo too get rid of the algae. From start to finish it took a month to get it clear. Most of which was trying to get the cloudiness out of it. It's Crystal clear but obviously not a"healthy"pool. Very frustrating but I'm currently adding water after dropping about 8 inches out. I know that not enough but we are sure allot of rain today so I didn't want to go too far because I won't be able to deal with it with the storm coming. Plus that's free fresh water haha

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.