Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: New Pool

1. Back To Top    #1

New Pool

I am a FNG (Funny New Guy) when it comes to pool maintenance. I am using a ColorQ Pro 7 test kit. I am terrible at matching colors and plan on taking samples in to Leslies occasionally to verify results. I am in the process of installing a Circupool RJ-45 SWG. This mornings test results were: FC 2.72 TC 2.80 PH 7.6 TA 91 CH 203 CYA 18 TDS 1840. ( I didn't buy enough salt yesterday. )
    So far, from what I've read here and in the SWG documents I need to raise my CYA to 70 - 80 and my TDS to 3200. My assumption is that I should get these two I balance before working on the others. Am I correct, or am I way off base?

Thanks in Advance.

John
    12000 Gallon IG Plaster built 2/15/2014. Jandy 340 sg ft 127 gpm filter, Jandy 1 HP stealth pump. Circupool RJ-45 SWG (overkill). TF-100 with Speed Stir.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: New Pool

Welcome to TFP!

Raising the salt level is certainly a priority. Without salt the SWG won't work. Keep in mind that TDS and Salt are not quite the same thing. Certainly the majority of the TDS reading will be caused by salt, but other things besides salt also contribute to TDS, enough so you can't simply use TDS as a salt reading.

I suggest raising CYA in two or three steps. Making large increases in CYA all in one step risks raising CYA too much. CYA is easy to raise, but difficult to lower, so better to "sneak up" on it.

Other than salt and CYA your numbers mostly look reasonable, though you will want to raise CH a little.

By the by, I wouldn't count on Leslies's water testing to have anything to do with reality. Many of their stores/employees are just fine, but others are prone to extreme testing errors. Unless you have experience comparing them to reliable test results you can't be sure which category your store/employee is in.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

I have not wired the power for the SWG yet. I'm waiting until I get the salt content up to where it needs to be. Since I have two Leslies within 2 miles, I'll take one sample to one and send the wife to the other with another sample.
    12000 Gallon IG Plaster built 2/15/2014. Jandy 340 sg ft 127 gpm filter, Jandy 1 HP stealth pump. Circupool RJ-45 SWG (overkill). TF-100 with Speed Stir.

4. Back To Top    #4

Welcome to the forum!

If you get different readings from each store, which one will you believe?

You'll always be better off by using your own reliable test results.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Pentair 36"SF & VS Pump, Dolphin M5, Rheem

5. Back To Top    #5

If you have difficulty "matching colors" I bet the TF-100 test kit would be a snap for you. The colors are complete changes (pink to clear, blue to hot pink/red, etc. depending on which test you're performing). This is sooooooo much easier to see compared to say, that pH test where you might scratch your head and wonder if the shade is closer to 7.2 or 7.6??
    I trust my test results over all others. Pool stores tests are suspect to me because under trained employees or perhaps a desire to sell you something might influence their quality.. y'know?
    My Amazon Smile for November12K Fiberglass IG, Infinity 4000 automatic cover, SWCG, Hayward Sand Filter, Hayward 1.5 Pump, Doheny Discovery Robot, Savi Melody LED pool lights, outdoor speakers and other assorted doo-dads. Sundance Altamar Hot Tub.
    Our pool build--> Our Pool Solved Our Sloping Yard Skippy's Cheap Pool Cooler -->Skippy's New Fountain

6. Back To Top    #6

I'll have to look into the TF-100.

Thanks for all the tips.

7. Back To Top    #7

John,
    I am a fairly new pool owner myself and have been using the ColorQ Pro 7 test kit also. IT seemed to work great for the first month or so but now my reading are becoming increasingly untrustworthy. Alot of time i find myself repeating the same test several times in a row to come up with a believable number. Hopefully you will have better luck than I am having.
    60000 L /15000gal L shaped infinity pool IG cement pool with 4" tile and grout
    28" sand filter / 1.5 hp hayward super pump 80 gpm
    Zodiac large size SWG, Taylor K-2006 test kit, 2 wheel suction side the pool cleaner

8. Back To Top    #8

Whenever digital testers are discussed, I inevitably think of this cartoon:

Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

9. Back To Top    #9

I agree with Jason's post above. Unless you are spending LOTS of money on a sophisticated electronic testing device you are not going to obtain accuracy or consistency. I've used them extensively, but these units cost several hundred, up to 4-5K each.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Pentair 36"SF & VS Pump, Dolphin M5, Rheem