Dog pooped in pool, Any special precautions?

G

What a end to a perfect day. Had my daughters 10th birthday party and everything went great. Except... after the party, I let dogs out and one of them pooped on the baja step in the pool. I got most of it out with the leaf skimmer. Other than shocking the pool, any other precautions I should take? Not sure if this is the right place for this topic.

Thanks

Sal

Good thing it happened after the party. Can you just imagine those 10 year olds squealing if they had been in it? EUWW! GROSS!!! MO-O-MM!

You did the right thing: remove what you can, then shock the water. It happened to us when our very old dog had an accident while swimming. I closed the pool for the day, shocked it, and let the chlorine drift back down. There were no ill effects, not on the pool nor on people.

Poop happens :)

That's the first time and I hope the last time. He must have been real thirsty, cause he was drinking at the same time. He is my freak dog!

Thanks for the info

Sal

HIGH CHLORINE DOSAGE WORKSHEET
Use only after contamination of pool by feces or vomitus.
Complete the worksheet and keep it in your log book under the incident date.
CAUTION:
♦ You are using this worksheet because your pool has been contaminated by feces or vomitus AND the responsible person is ill or suspected to be ill, OR the stool or vomitus is loose or spread into a large area.
♦ Use this sheet only if the pool cannot be closed for 24 hours (see Step 4b on the other side of this guide).
♦ Be aware that you will be trying to reach a high chlorine residual. After determining the needed chlorine level, you should contact your swimming pool equipment supplier to ensure this level will not have a harmful effect on the pool or equipment.
♦ Do not use this procedure unless you are familiar with calculating and reaching high chlorine residuals.
♦ Do not use this procedure unless you understand how to use your chlorine test kit to accurately read high chlorine residuals.
♦ Do not use this procedure unless you can quickly lower high free chlorine residuals to less than 6 PPM.
Time and Concentration Calculation:
Use this chart to determine the amount of time you wish to keep the pool closed and the minimum concentration of chlorine necessary for that time to ensure bacteria from the incident are killed. Times different from the chart can be calculated by using the formula: 7,200 ÷ T = C or 7,200 ÷ Time in minutes = the Concentration of chlorine in PPM.
TIME ------------------ CHLORINE
4 HOURS ................ 30PPM
6 HOURS ................ 20PPM
8 HOURS ................ 15PPM
10 HOURS ............... 12PPM
12 HOURS ................ 10PPM
14 HOURS ................. 9PPM
16 HOURS ................. 8PPM
18 HOURS ................. 7PPM
20 HOURS ................. 6PPM

Amount of Chlorine Needed:
The amount of chlorine needed to achieve the PPM you have determined will depend on: 1) the volume of water in your pool and, 2) the concentration of the chlorine you are using. Read the product information with the chlorine you are using, or contact your pool equipment supplier. You might consider using chlorine made for shocking which would dissipate quickly. The pool cannot be opened until the free chlorine level is below 6 PPM.

Well, this is part of one worksheet for a public pool. I am not saying this is right or wrong. I'll just say it can be used as a guide.

That worksheet is old and based on the older CT value for Cryptosporidium (a protozoan oocyst) of 7200. The latest CDC recommendations for a fecal response are shown here where a CT value of Crypto is now given as 15,300. The thing is that with CYA in the water it is not practical to get the chlorine level to the equivalent of 10 ppm FC with no CYA. You'd have to have an FC that is approximately 10 ppm higher than the CYA level in order to do that.

It is unlikely that the dog had Crypto unless the dog had diarrhea and even then it is not likely. In this specific case, it sounds like a formed stool so Crypto is very unlikely.

I would just shock the pool at normal shock levels as that will kill most pathogens (bacteria and viruses) in less than a minute and some heartier pathogens within minutes. At shock levels (an FC that is 40% of the CYA level) even Giardia (another protozoan oocyst) will be inactivated in a little over an hour.

Richard

Awesome, Thanks for all the info. I did get most of it out and threw in a gallon of chlorine right after the incident. Just to be safe, no swimming today and I need one - two more gallons to shock my pool.

Thanks Again!

So the new CT value is 15,300 for worse case, figuring Crypto.

So 15300 divided by 100 PPM equals 153 minutes. :mrgreen:

If you close the pool for a day it's 24 X 60 = 1440.
1440 divided into 15300 equals 10.6 PPM. So the gov't says you should shock with a 11 PPM with the pool closed for 24 hours.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.