Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Polaris booster question

1. Back To Top    #1

Question Polaris booster question

I apologize if this is a dumb question...but what the heck is this polaris booster pump (PB4-60) I have for? I see that it is indeed connected to 2 other returns, but I notice when I have my regular pump (super pump 1hp, soon to be replaced) on, I only see water movement from 2 jets. If I turn on the polaris it seems to "take over" and then the other 2 (I have four return jets) move and the first two kinda go "quiet"...barely if not any water movement.

I'm replacing my pump with a new 2 spd superflow (pentair) tomorrw, should I do anything with the polaris?
    Brian, Pool newbie in Atlanta, GA. 24k IG vinyl pool, Circupool SI-45 SWG (purchased 3/2014) , Hayward Pro Series Sand filter S220T, Pentair 1hp 2-speed superflow (thanks Jbizzle!), TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Removed -> Hayward 1HP Super pump SP-1607-Z1-M

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Polaris booster question

Likely to run a pressure side cleaner. Although there is usually only one return from the booster pump where you would hook up the cleaner.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

Ah yes I recall my pool inspector telling me that. Cleaner? Like a robot or a vacuum? Should I not be running the polaris when the regular pump is on? Again sorry for the dump questions

Brian, Pool newbie in Atlanta, GA. 24k IG vinyl pool, Circupool SI-45 SWG (purchased 3/2014) , Hayward Pro Series Sand filter S220T, Pentair 1hp 2-speed superflow (thanks Jbizzle!), TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir

4. Back To Top    #4

If you don't have the cleaner, no reason to run the Polaris pump. But if you do run it, the main pump should be on.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

5. Back To Top    #5

As always thanks jblizzle!