Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Automatic pool cleaner

1. Back To Top    #1

Automatic pool cleaner

We would like to purchase an automatic pool cleaner for our 1st year with our agp but don't kmow which kind is best.

Here are the options we are looking at but are also open to other suggestion.

1) aquabot rover jr -robot cleaned-$280

2) Polaris 65- pressure side cleaner- $170

3) kreepy krauly/Hayward bug/other suction side cleaner- $120
    13500 gallon AG (24' round), 100 sf cartridge filter, Hayward 1hp pump, pool 10-15 years old with recently replaced liner

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry

Re: Automatic pool cleaner

1) The Aquabot Rover Jr. is my personal favorite as it handles debris of all sizes and includes a fine mesh bag.

2) The Polaris 65 drags a bag beneath it and typically is good for medium to larger size debris. It is not the best option for fine debris such as sand and silt.

3) I personally am not a real big fan of suction side cleaners. They send debris back to the filter which adds load to the filter. They can also struggle with medium to larger debris. I also find that they are typically the most difficult to use on a daily basis. If you do go this route the two brands you mentioned are among the top choices.
    Josh Ulfers - josh@saltpoolguys.com - 888-725-8766
    SaltPoolGuys.com - AutoPilot Pool Pilot Systems, Parts & Cells - AquaCal Heat Pumps

3. Back To Top    #3

Do any of the above clean the walls? Do the walls even need to be cleaned and if these don't clean them how do we do that?
    13500 gallon AG (24' round), 100 sf cartridge filter, Hayward 1hp pump, pool 10-15 years old with recently replaced liner

4. Back To Top    #4

Automatic pool cleaner

Yes the walls need to be cleaned. I brush mine once a week.
    I'm also looking at getting the aquabot jr. I just manually vacuum now.
    Jeff
    24'x54" AG Morada RTR (by wilbar) 13'500 gal. Hayward Powerflo Matrix 1hp 2 speed. Hayward Perflex EC65 DE filter.

5. Back To Top    #5

My two personal favorites are the Pool Rover Jr. and the Water Tech Pool Blaster Max. I dip out all the bigger stuff/twigs/leaves and honestly use the PB Max most of the time. It's just too quick ,convenient and does a great job. Especially with the finer filter options. Rarely use my bug cleaner. It's too much of a pain to hook all those sections together, goes in circles a lot and such. But it does do a good job if you check on it. The first two choices have the added benefit of keeping most of that stuff out of your filter in the first place. I just brush my walls once a week in the summer-takes what, 10-15 minutes?
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

6. Back To Top    #6

In the Industry

The Aquabot Rover Jr. and Polaris 65 won't do walls at all.

Sometimes you'll see a suction cleaner (the styles with the rubber mats) climb walls however it is not a main feature of the units. I wouldn't consider the small bit of wall climbing an advantage to suction units as they do so very sporadically.

If your walls need brushing you'll probably end up doing it manually.
    SaltPoolGuys.com - AutoPilot Pool Pilot Systems, Parts & Cells - AquaCal Heat Pumps

7. Back To Top    #7

Automatic pool cleaner

Josh have you heard anything about the Aquqbot Pura 4X AJET123
    Here's a link to one on eBay http://bit.ly/1kssnAs
    Jeff
    24'x54" AG Morada RTR (by wilbar) 13'500 gal. Hayward Powerflo Matrix 1hp 2 speed. Hayward Perflex EC65 DE filter.

8. Back To Top    #8

In the Industry

Josh have you heard anything about the Aquqbot Pura 4X AJET123
    I've seen them (or a similar unit) on display at trade shows. It is one of their newer products however I've never used one or seen it in action.

9. Back To Top    #9

If you want wall climbing you would probably be better off with one of the better tracked style robot cleaners.

Ike
    Indoor 20x40 35,000 gallon vinyl pool with 1.5 HP 2 speed Jandy FloPro pump, Hayward EC75 Perflex DE filter, 11 4x12 Techno-Solis solar panels w/ Aquasolar controller, Aquabot Turbo T Robot Cleaner. Also LMI metering chlorine dispenser pump and HotSpring Jetsetter
    I use and endorse TFtestKits TF-100 from http://tftestkits.net
    ~Remember TFP counts on your donations to keep this site ad free~